Lowballers

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Lowballers

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Engineer wrote:I had some 'need to buy at or below spot' offers at the bottom of the market this summer. I'd like to thank them for not buying my silver at 15.5x.

People don't realize AT SPOT.... we are technically selling to them BELOW SPOT with fees incured....let alone making any kind of profit...

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:52 am

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:I didn't konw ASE's were considered Stagnant.... :shock: :shock:

-The Great

Sitting around gathering dust waiting for a sale that is light years away is stagnant. It's not the same as stacking it for a future hedge.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:10 pm

There are lowballers everywhere. Yesterday I placed 30 ASE's on craiglist with an asking price of $2 over spot per coin. I clearly state in my ad that the LCS sells ASE's for $4 over spot and buys them at $1 over spot which is a $3 buy/sell spread. So I state in my ad that I could easily take these ASE's to the LCS and get $1 over spot per coin but I want instead to sell them to a private party at $2 each over spot that way I will make an extra $30 and you (the buyer) will save $60 as opposed to buying from the LCS. So it is a win/win situation for both of us.

So I get a call from some clown who throws a figure at me saying that he wants all 30. So I do the math and it comes out at $1.50 (below) spot per coin. I reply by telling him his math must be wrong. He then double checks it and says its correct. I then ask him did he read and understand what was said in my ad regarding the buy/sell spread at our LCS? He replies, "Yes". I then follow by asking him why then are you offering me $1.50 below spot and he says he wants a bulk discount price for buying all 30. I calmly respond by telling him to please write down my phone# in the ad and make it a point never to call it whenever it appears again :x
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:59 pm

pennypicker wrote:There are lowballers everywhere. Yesterday I placed 30 ASE's on craiglist with an asking price of $2 over spot per coin. I clearly state in my ad that the LCS sells ASE's for $4 over spot and buys them at $1 over spot which is a $3 buy/sell spread. So I state in my ad that I could easily take these ASE's to the LCS and get $1 over spot per coin but I want instead to sell them to a private party at $2 each over spot that way I will make an extra $30 and you (the buyer) will save $60 as opposed to buying from the LCS. So it is a win/win situation for both of us.

So I get a call from some clown who throws a figure at me saying that he wants all 30. So I do the math and it comes out at $1.50 (below) spot per coin. I reply by telling him his math must be wrong. He then double checks it and says its correct. I then ask him did he read and understand what was said in my ad regarding the buy/sell spread at our LCS? He replies, "Yes". I then follow by asking him why then are you offering me $1.50 below spot and he says he wants a bulk discount price for buying all 30. I calmly respond by telling him to please write down my phone# in the ad and make it a point never to call it whenever it appears again :x

bulk discount my @$$. 1. I think a bulk discount for something like that starts at atleast 100. 2. why did he offer below spot at one of the lowest points in 4 years?
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SoFa » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:35 pm

If the price is too high I never bother to make an offer.

On ebay I get clowns all the time offering to pay 50% or less of market value. A guy today offered $155 for a coin listed at $310. But he's a veteran, and he likes PR69 and PR70 coins a lot, and it's from a great year and god loves me and then some. Right, um no.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals