Does Anyone Melt Down US 90%?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does Anyone Melt Down US 90%?

Postby Taylor3006 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:42 am

Curious if anyone here melts down US 90% coins for bars or rounds. I have some slicks that are really bad and interested in selling to someone who won't try and sell them as coins to some schmuck. I got most of them in a $1000 face bag from my LCS (I wasn't happy) and one particular dollar coin I found while metal detecting a creek and you can just barely make out it is a dollar coin. Don't wish to sell back to LCS or on eBay, I just know they will screw over someone else. Would like to see someone trustworthy melt them down. I have 4 or 5 dollar coins, some quarters and dimes and am looking to sell at actual weight for melt value.
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?" Harlan Carter
Taylor3006

Re: Does Anyone Melt Down US 90%?

Postby Engineer » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 am

If you send them to scrapman1077, he'll send back shiny new .999 rounds.

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10821

Other than that, MarketHarmony or one of the other refiners would be your best bet.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Taylor3006 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

Thanks Engineer for that link! That looks like a great plan to me
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?" Harlan Carter
Taylor3006

Postby Robarons » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:05 am

I can 90% being melted down when its reasonable and prudent to do so relative to premiums to other forms of silver

There is a lot of Sterling and other scrap now that covers the need for silver and 90% seems to command a premium in its current form relative to spot anyways

But a natural increase in .999 Silver Premiums or a demand of silver as a whole (think $50 Silver) may trigger melting again

I wouldnt be surprised if a psychological factor kicks in, right now 90% is commanded for its security and non-being made any more status but in 2 years applications may require 999 Silver therefore making it the superior choice, like in the 1980's where 90% could take days to e bought/refined where 999 would be bought so much easier
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals