Embarrassed by branch manager at BofA

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Embarrassed by branch manager at BofA

Postby ScottyTX » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:58 am

Economist wrote:Pennysaved,

I sympathize with you- the BM was clearly being an idiot and a jerk to you. However, I think you made a mistake in stating so frankly that you sort halves from another bank. Perhaps you could've have twinged him a little, e.g.: "I've been saving these up but now I really need cash," or "This was my (or, my grandpa's) coin collection but I can't afford to keep it..." (the grandpa line might have actually got him excited about searching them himself!).

Bank employees are so hit and miss regarding collectors/ sorters, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse as more people catch on, so I'd caution everybody to do whatever it takes to stay on good terms with all bank people.

But again, the dude was a total jerk, so I'm not saying you're wrong in any way!

I see a potential problem with that though, if your wanting to make routine dumps at that same branch being upfront from the get go or after a few dumps might be the way to go. I rarely get questioned and when I do I usually say oh I'm just doing this on my off time when I get bored...The kids love searching for the old one with me as well ect. If they have a problem with the volume your dumping, then you'll most likely hear about it anyways no matter what you come up with.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:59 am

Economist wrote:Pennysaved,

I sympathize with you- the BM was clearly being an idiot and a jerk to you. However, I think you made a mistake in stating so frankly that you sort halves from another bank. Perhaps you could've have twinged him a little, e.g.: "I've been saving these up but now I really need cash," or "This was my (or, my grandpa's) coin collection but I can't afford to keep it..." (the grandpa line might have actually got him excited about searching them himself!).

Bank employees are so hit and miss regarding collectors/ sorters, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse as more people catch on, so I'd caution everybody to do whatever it takes to stay on good terms with all bank people.

But again, the dude was a total jerk, so I'm not saying you're wrong in any way!

Well the problem is I can't make up a story since this bank knows what I am doing. The business teller knows me well and takes boxes and boxes of dimes from me after I sort them.

The sad thing is the business teller walked out after this interaction with this new branch manager.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:36 am

I saw on another forum where a guy cashes in $1000 worth of halves every month and when asked where he gets them he says he has a rental house and the tenant always pays with them. The tellers actually felt sorry for the guy!
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm

bman wrote:I saw on another forum where a guy cashes in $1000 worth of halves every month and when asked where he gets them he says he has a rental house and the tenant always pays with them. The tellers actually felt sorry for the guy!

Damn, thats a good one. I am going to use that line.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 am

The last time I took a box of halfs in the teller looked at me and said "you didn't get these here and we don't want them" she did take them but it sure seemed I had just ruined her whole day.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:The last time I took a box of halfs in the teller looked at me and said "you didn't get these here and we don't want them" she did take them but it sure seemed I had just ruined her whole day.

Yea it really gets to me because ITS THEIR JOB! Banks are supposed to make change for people, receive change, and give change, if needed. That's what people go to the bank for. ....
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 pm

What's going to happen when the bottom really drops out and crappy clad coins far exceed the value of the 'numbers' they have on their books?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 999Ni » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm

good point, thogey. :o
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Economist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:54 pm

Scotty,

You're absolightly route that you need to be on good terms with the tellers at your dump bank (of course you never, never, never ever pick up at your dump bank). I have taken to giving my dump tellers candy every other time or so- they treat me well and never have asked where/ why.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Tantalar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

I was at the bank the other day cashing in some SBAs and halves and pennies and quarters all mixed together. I put them in a penny box and walked to the bank with them. I started using the free coin counting machine and after a bit it jammed up because it was full of something. It seems it was full of something so I asked for assistance. Some woman I have never seen before comes over (she just looks bitchy right off the bat) she opens it up and starts swearing as she struggles to move the bag of full quarters. One of the tellers helps her out. I hardly had any quarters. As I was exchanging it for cash, the lady comes over and starts telling me in somewhat of a bitchy tone of voice something about how someone was searching quarters for the new dates (obviously someone CRHing for silver quarters) and so then she goes on to say that dealing with when banks start counting people's coins like that, they become more than just banks. I was very polite and reasonable with her but seriously. What do you expect when you offer a free coin counting service? It's like if Mcdonalds ran a promotion for 5 cent cheeseburgers and then got angry when mobs of people showed up. So now I am considering just forgetting all about that bank completely other than when I actually use the coin machine for counting my change.
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals