Grey Hair in Dime Rolls

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Grey Hair in Dime Rolls

Postby hirbonzig » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm in Columbus Ohio on vacation and said to my wife--I'm going to stop and try to pick up some dimes at this bank. After getting a roll of her eyes and a comment about how this dime crap is getting old.....I pull into the bank.
I ask for $500 in dimes, but all they could give me was $200. When I got back to the hotel to go through them I noticed about half of the CWR had grey hair stuck in the folded ends of the rolls. My first thought (hope) was that one of Thogeys widows was filling these rolls solid with silver dimes!
But after going through the rolls, they weren't solid silver,but I wasn't skunked either. I got 3 Rosies and 2 xf mercs. Not bad, I think some elderly person was mixing their silver with their regular change and turning it in.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Grey Hair in Dime Rolls

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:51 pm

We're sorry to hear that your wife gives you grief. Be a good hubbie and don't say, "I told you so," when those dimes are worth $5 each.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hirbonzig » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:17 am

It's not that bad. She enjoys finding silver just as much as I do--I just tie up cash in coin form. That's what gets her goat.
“Someone’s gonna have to go back and get a sh*t load of dimes.”
hirbonzig
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 am

It's not a huge number, but it's a very nice percentage. Congratulations!

...and be glad it wasn't curly. :?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby schockergd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:18 pm

The only question I have is why anyone would want to vacation in Columbus of all places.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm

schockergd wrote:The only question I have is why anyone would want to vacation in Columbus of all places.

He could have stopped there on the way to another destination, Columbus is the on the crossroads of US 70 and 71. Of course Columbus is the home of Ohio State University. It is also a pretty good destination for golfers as it is the birthplace of Jack Nicklaus and home of one of his designed courses, Muirfield. And finally since Ohio has an older population it is a good place to search coins.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 pm

theo wrote:
schockergd wrote:The only question I have is why anyone would want to vacation in Columbus of all places.

He could have stopped there on the way to another destination, Columbus is the on the crossroads of US 70 and 71. Of course Columbus is the home of Ohio State University. It is also a pretty good destination for golfers as it is the birthplace of Jack Nicklaus and home of one of his designed courses, Muirfield. And finally since Ohio has an older population it is a good place to search coins.

:shh: TMI ;)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby angel2004 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:12 pm

I have often thought of stopping in local banks when driving through a town. I just wondered if they would comply or it would be a waste of time.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dirty fingers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Usually not a waste of time. Some will do it, others no. Never hurts to ask. The worst that will happen, is you are out of 5 minutes of time.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mrlaufer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:00 pm

theo wrote:

Don't forget the #1 zoo in the country.
God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason-so you can listen twice as much as you speak.
Molon Labe
mrlaufer
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals