Who remembers CL want ads when silver was $40?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Who remembers CL want ads when silver was $40?

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:11 pm

What was the want-ad market like on Craigslist when silver was in the $40 range? That was the mid-2011 time frame.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Who remembers CL want ads when silver was $40?

Postby Morsecode » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:05 am

Crazier than it is now. Buyers flagging each other's ads became a sport. At the time I was a copper buyer, and even those ads were getting flagged.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dirty fingers » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 am

CL can be such a joke, due to that flagging crappo. And the powers to be do not seem to care one whit. I still buy scrap gold, and can get an add out there, but many of them still get flagged.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Morsecode wrote:Crazier than it is now. Buyers flagging each other's ads became a sport. At the time I was a copper buyer, and even those ads were getting flagged.

Interesting. Cut throat action?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:42 am

Even my ads when I started stacking in fall of 2012 when silver was $34-37ozt, they would be flagged about every other day. On top of people sending hate mail saying that i'm a crook for not paying more than spot... blah blah blah

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby christostock » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 am

I recall the same thing.
having my ads flagged instantly. If my phone number was included then it would get knocked down within 1 or 2 minutes.
Then i found the CL auto flagger and started doing unto others as they were doing to me. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I also got a bunch of my regular guys to flag the culprits.
You could tell who flagged you by the time stamp of when yours got flagged and when the very next post went up.
What really still pisses me off is the ads that are almost identical and somehow the same guy gets them posted about 20-25 times in a row???? And they claim to pay the most, but I have found that 9.5 times out of 10 I actually will pay the most.
There ya have it
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Cl flags and removes ads?

I can't get a local spammer of video game stuff removed of his overpriced crap from my area!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:34 pm

cesariojpn wrote:Cl flags and removes ads?

I can't get a local spammer of video game stuff removed of his overpriced crap from my area!!

No CL doesn't flag or remove ads.... its the actual posters.. like you and me. But when someone is trying to buy/sell the same thing you are and you have a better price, they will hit the "FLAG" button.. and if enough people do it.. it pulls your ad. Nothing you can do but repost it. But if you keep getting flagged and posting the same exact post... it will take fewer and fewer "flags" to pull your ad. Vicious cycle.

I have found if I post my ad right before bed... it gets by the flaggers and people still see the ad. Have a lot higher success rate posting right before bed.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby christostock » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:09 am

CL autoflagger is software that will simulate flagging from a proxy ip address.
So that the flags look like they are coming into CL from multiple different flaggers.
As Clint said, it takes multiple different ip addresses to flag down a post to the point where it gets removed.
If your ad gets flagged all the time, CL starts to consider your account as "fragile". Don't really know what that means but your posts start getting removed quicker and with fewer different ip addresses to knock it down.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:17 pm

Will this guy be buying on CL at over $40:

http://maine.craigslist.org/wan/4076745855.html

They advertise frequently on CL. Almost a used car/mattress salesperson pitch to it. If we hit $40, I'm calling the King of Gold.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dannan14 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:38 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Will this guy be buying on CL at over $40:

http://maine.craigslist.org/wan/4076745855.html

They advertise frequently on CL. Almost a used car/mattress salesperson pitch to it. If we hit $40, I'm calling the King of Gold.

Wow, this guy really must know his stuff....he says he has 20 years of experience with commities (sic)
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:12 am

dannan14 wrote:Wow, this guy really must know his stuff....he says he has 20 years of experience with commities (sic)

For some reason I picture a Borat type character when he posts as the 'King of Gold'.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 am

I wasn't checking Craigslist when silver was $40 but the best deal I got was when silver was around $22 and I got 8 silver eagles in Littleton holders for $19 each (I knocked him down from $20 because the edges were tarnished haha). He said thanks I really needed to raise some money because I want a new Vizio TV and my girlfriend told me I had to sell something. Wow.
300Braveheart

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals