Bad conduct

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Bad conduct

Postby fansubs_ca » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:19 am

You have to assume that:

#1: Most people don't understand that condition is important. (After all they never
had a store clerk tell them "this quarter is only good for 20¢ because it's dented".)
#2: Most people are at least slighty retarded. ^_-

That said any time I do get new silver it gets locked up right away so it doesn't get
forgotten.

The only coins I've ever shown to a friend were "junk silver" dimes since those aren't
so condition sensitive in value. (Which is one of the reasons it's my favourite form
of silver, the fussiest a buyer might get is to want to buy by weight rather than count.)

This reminds me of the time I was explaining to a friend that the toothpick he had
just picked up and used in my room was "previously enjoyed"*, he didn't really give
me enough of a chance to explain that before hand.

*It had been used to pack cotton under my toenail (I had an ingrown toenail at the
time) and back then the quality of toothpicks was high enough it could be used more
than once so it was sitting on a Kleenex with a partial cotton ball next to my VCR.
(As opposeded to now when 3/4 of toothpicks are split or have jagged edges out
of the box and the rest break almost right away. -_-)
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:09 am

fansubs_ca wrote:...
*It had been used to pack cotton under my toenail (I had an ingrown toenail at the
time)...

Not to digress - or gross anyone out, but does this technique work? - I've had sproadic problems over the years and I've been soaking my toe until the nail softens a bit and then trying to slowly bend it out, twice a day, but that seems to be working less well lately.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:29 am

68Camaro wrote:
time)...

Not to digress - or gross anyone out, but does this technique work? - I've had sproadic problems over the years and I've been soaking my toe until the nail softens a bit and then trying to slowly bend it out, twice a day, but that seems to be working less well lately.

amputate. Problem solved :sick: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 am

68Camaro wrote:
time)...

The first question, I guess, is whether you're diabetic. If so, the rules change.

One thing that works for me is bag balm. Putting a little on my hangnail areas softens them up enough to work with, and if you soaked some cotton in bag balm, it could do even better when shoved under a nail.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:15 am

Bluegill wrote:
he had taken off the top and was going through them, very roughly.

barrytrot wrote:
You majorly over reacted. If you don't want people messing with things keep them out of "hands reach". Pretty simple.

Not at all dude. Not at all.

How would you like it if someone grabbed something of yours in your private home with out asking permission first, and open it up and started man handling the contents. What this guy did was flat out rude and disrespectful. A person shouldn't have to keep their possessions out of hands reach in their own home. The guest should have manners.

Of course that was how I was raised, so I'm probably gonna be the odd man out on this one...

Naturally if you were at my house I would have no worries. *You were raised well.* MOST PEOPLE TODAY ARE NOT RAISED WELL. Remember that. You can't base how you do things on how well *you were raised*. You need to base it on how poorly everyone else was raised.

Would I start handling things in another person's house without asking? No.

Would many people: Yes.

Does bad behavior out of someone else allow me to behave poorly? No.

Pretty simple logic.
barrytrot

Postby JobIII » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:07 am

barrytrot wrote:He didn't do $23 worth of damage and had you just said, "hey those are delicate" or something like that he would have stopped and not done it again.

You majorly over reacted. If you don't want people messing with things keep them out of "hands reach". Pretty simple.

Truly a Classic Barrytrot comment here ^^

I try to respect other peoples coins like they were part of my own collection. But even collectors can make mistakes. I do leave coins in the open, but tend to tell people they are important and need to be careful when they start going near them or handling them.

~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:03 pm

I keep a wooden decorative treasure chest at kids' reach that's full of random arcade tokens, shiny zinc pennies, one 1984 proof set in its plastic case, and a few tarnished copper rounds. I call this daddy's coin collection. Children, family, friends are welcome to dig around in the box unsupervised. Everything else is hidden away and kept to myself.

I think most non-collectors simply don't know how easy coins are to scratch. With their only experiences being of clad pocket change, they figure the only way to noticeably scratch a coin is to drag it under your shoe across a sidewalk or something. Sort of like how people who aren't car buffs don't realize that writing "wash me" with your finger on a dirty panel scratches the paint.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:01 pm

Thogey wrote:My fencing instructor brought in a mint state 1916 Walker for me to look at.

This 14 year old little f$cker butts into the conversation, picks it up and drops it, then rakes it across the (linoleum),table, obverse down.

I believe he turned a 1000 coin into a 85 dollar coin in about 4 seconds.

Yikes! :o
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Well, I keep many of my bullion coins in Air-Tites just for that very reason. You can look, but can't touch! :lol:

(Not that many people get to see them...hehe!)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:03 am

68Camaro wrote:
time)...

Yes, after soaking the cotton helps keep it bent out.

Eventaually after size 14 shoes became available and I switched from size 13 the ingrown
toenails stopped so it was really caused by wearing shoes that were too small. Somewhere
between age 16 and 25 my feet grew a size, but slowly enough I didn't really notice.

So a bigger shoe might be the permanent fix for you.

I actually discovered this year whe I was looking to buy some safety shoes (which I
ended up not needing to get) that based on the length of my foot I'm a size 12 and
the middle of the foot isn't that all that wide but the real reason I need size 14W is
that the front of my foot is wider. (Which isn't measured by standard sizing, so
I only self determined my size as 14W by trying on various shoes many years ago.)

I also discovered that the available size range in safety shoes is better than in runners.
For many years nobody but Payless Shoes had my size and style of shoes on any kind
of consistant basis. I looked around ahead of time on the safety shoes because I
thought they would be harder to locate than I thought.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:18 am

nero12345 wrote:I had a friend over the other day, we were working on a new deck. During a break we were sitting in my " coin room" and he noticed a roll of maples I had just bought. Before I noticed what he was doing he had taken off the top and was going through them, very roughly. I tried not to freak out to much but then he started spinning it on the desk top saying how heavy it was. I asked him when he started collecting silver coins. His answer was I don't collect these things. I said " you do now that will be $23." He looked at me like I had ten heads. I said " that coins now scratched up pretty good, what the hell were you thinking" do non coin people really not know how to handle coins or what. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

P.S. he didn't buy the coin and also didn't really help with the deck much after that.lol. Don't really blame him I guess.

Nero...friend, can i speak truth in love?...without you getting cross with me?

i'll take a "yes"...okay.

brother...NEVER reveal ANYTHING to anyone, but those HANDFUL (at most) of bro's, who you KNOW would take your bullet.

what were those coins doing out anyway? You HAVE to realize, these are NOT normal times, and they are about to get a lot worse...more worse, than you can even imagine, and you have to start thinking different, outside the box, and embrace the concept of opsec. Operational Security.

that does NOT meaning living in fear....NO! it means this, its a line from "The Godfather" "Women and children can be careless, men cannot"

forgive me, if i seem harsh, that's not my intention....nor to be a busybody. loose lips sink ships. n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:53 am

Thogey wrote:My fencing instructor brought in a mint state 1916 Walker for me to look at.

This 14 year old little f$cker butts into the conversation, picks it up and drops it, then rakes it across the (linoleum),table, obverse down.

I believe he turned a 1000 coin into a 85 dollar coin in about 4 seconds.

Why was a coin of that quality and value not in an airtight case?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:08 am

Because she did not know what she had.

She brought in a buffalo nickel a AU/BU trade dollar a steel cent and a 1916 walker.

I educated her on what she had and recommended she have the coin authenticated.

I might have exaggerated on the initial condition of the walker but it was the sharpest one I've ever seen before the little troll got his mits on it.

When he was done with it the reverse had a big black blotch on the eagle and other high points.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:06 am

I would have thought that LCS dealers would handle coins delicately, but one LCS owner literally throws coins across the table to his coworker to show me when I ask for or see something specific I want to look at. What bothers me the most are the Perth Mint lunar items he has listed for pretty good prices I would jump at, except for the SEVERE chips and scratches all over the mint capsules from all the abuse. Then there are those loose 1.5 ox Canadian polar bears he had that he also was tossing across the counter for people to see. Ridiculous.
300Braveheart

Postby dirty fingers » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:58 am

Engineer wrote:Rule 3:
If they want to steal something, I always leave out some bait bags of copper...with some boxes of shotgun shells to let them know they may need to hurry.

I actually have a bait 'safe', in the living room. I keep a bag of about $15 in AU 90's and 200x something non-shield zincs in it, some 'fake' papers (couple titles from vehicles I have not had for a couple decades with the wife's maiden name, some fake insurance/investing looking stuff), a couple garbage watches (in zip locks), and about $45 of mixed change (old dirty dimes, quarters and a couple gold plated fakes, etc), and some 'gold' looking costume jewelry crap (bagged, with 10k and 14k written on it with sharpies). About $70 of value, including the $20 I paid for non-functional safe (does not lock, lol). The safe does have a key, but the tumblers are taken out, so the face just spins, but is always 'open'. The key is simply set on top of the safe (opps).

I have 3 other safes, including a 1400lb monster in the basement (yea, lets see someone try to move that monster). when/if I move, that monster will stay with the house.

But I also feel that having bait laying around is very good. The very few times I have ever had someone in my house that I have bought PM from, I always throw into the bait safe, while they are here. But 5 min after they are gone, it is no longer in that spot, for sure.
I always take life with a grain of salt, ...plus a slice of lime, ...and a shot of tequila.
dirty fingers
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 am

"bad conduct" part 2

"that's what the world is coming to"-----"Tommy D"

Moral of the story-always keep bags of lime around

later add...I KNOW its off topic, but I found this gem, "The making of Goodfellas", and I simply had to include for you all...its good stuff, Marty's THE MAN!

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals