How much does your LCS pay you for your silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How much does your LCS pay you for your silver?

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:33 am

Thinking of maybe going to an LCS to sell some if silver gets back up in the 30's. Wondering right now what they are paying.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How much does your LCS pay you for your silver?

Postby Morsecode » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:47 am

I would throw it out before I sold to any shop around here.

The highest is 70% of melt, the lowest around 50%. And these guys are friends of mine.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 am

Morsecode wrote:I would throw it out before I sold to any shop around here.

The highest is 70% of melt, the lowest around 50%. And these guys are friends of mine.

Selling to CL buyers around here may be an alternative. There are regulars that pay spot or maybe over (will see how that goes if silver gets to $30) that post on CL. Wonder if they are trying to stack for their personal use or plan to flip the silver if it hits $30+. If anything, there will be plenty of silver available if prices recover because there will be plenty of sellers.

I think many holders of silver will want to get out once and for all if we get high prices. They are probably fatigued by price somersaults. I see myself not liking the roller coaster price fluctuations, hence the idea of freeing up some funds to use to buy more copper or to buy more silver at lower prices later on perhaps.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Computer Jones » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:33 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Thinking of maybe going to an LCS to sell some if silver gets back up in the 30's. Wondering right now what they are paying.

I'd bet you'll get a better price here on Realcent than 97% of your local coin shops!
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wjruth » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:27 pm

ASE is spot plus $1 and generic bars are 90% of spot. If you sell in volume you can get a better deal. Best I've seen on bars is 10 cents under spot.
wjruth

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Computer Jones wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:Thinking of maybe going to an LCS to sell some if silver gets back up in the 30's. Wondering right now what they are paying.

I'd bet you'll get a better price here on Realcent than 97% of your local coin shops!

I agree with this 100%, if your LCS is only selling in the 70% range... you could easily sell here on RC for 90% and literally have whatever your selling gone in minutes. Depending on how you want to be paid, you could also get your money in minutes as well. GREAT community here. If I ever have anything I want to move, I put it up here first.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tedandcam » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:38 am

My LCS is paying 5% over melt for 90% and $1.50 over for ASE. Most all the other shops are paying right around the same mark.There is always some entrepenuer/crook paying people below local market trends for PM's.
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:54 pm

tedandcam wrote:My LCS is paying 5% over melt for 90% and $1.50 over for ASE. Most all the other shops are paying right around the same mark.There is always some entrepenuer/crook paying people below local market trends for PM's.

I guess you can call me a crook, i NEVER pay spot or above spot locally. Why would I? YOu woudln't intentionally pay MORE for something that you know you can buy for LESS would you? You don't go to Walmart and say... "Sorry, but Target has this for $2 MORE and I can't be paying less than the market trend..." Thats absurd! But all the LCS's around here always buy about 80% of spot

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 300Braveheart » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:16 am

There are 3 LCS in my area and they are all over the place. Seems to be either $2 below or above or anywhere in between. I don't sell at coin shops, but if they have a unique item I think is underpriced I may trade some of my silver I don't like as much, since they typically give you more in trade value than selling value. Plus you don't have to fill out the dumb card they turn over to the police dept and take all youe information as they do when you sell (at least in my state).
300Braveheart

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:07 pm

My LCS owner has a fancy formula he uses to calculate the buy/sell prices for US 90%. It's not anything easy like taking a fixed % of the spot price. I asked him once to explain it to me. He tried, but I was left in the dust by the third step of the calculation. To me it seemed like the spot price was actually secondary.

Instead, he seems to use the time of the daily sunset, the age of his dog, the per-gallon price at the neighborhood gas station and the expected high daily temp in Monkeys Eyebrow, Kentucky. He does lots of business, so it clearly works. I just don't know how or why.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:08 pm

I buy quite a bit off CL and I do pay spot because it is better than what they will get from LCS (around 80% of spot) and less than what it would cost me at the LCS so I figure it is a win win for all involved.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:40 am

baggerman wrote:I buy quite a bit off CL and I do pay spot because it is better than what they will get from LCS (around 80% of spot) and less than what it would cost me at the LCS so I figure it is a win win for all involved.

That's very generous of you, Dick :thumbup: A win/win situation for all :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:12 pm

They pay 95% of spot. Or higher. Ive gotten above 100 on 90% during volatility

Wont pay much premium wise on thing like ASE or GAE though...

Love them (and always a great conversation...buying or selling)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby baggerman » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:24 pm

beauanderos wrote:
baggerman wrote:I buy quite a bit off CL and I do pay spot because it is better than what they will get from LCS (around 80% of spot) and less than what it would cost me at the LCS so I figure it is a win win for all involved.

That's very generous of you, Dick :thumbup: A win/win situation for all :mrgreen:

Ray,

Dad always said that if BOTH parties don't walk away with a smile on their faces it wasn't a good deal.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:17 am

That's the way it should work, and doing business that way brings you more business in the future.

I can't even begin to count the number of wasted hours and opportunities I've missed by dealing with people who aren't happy unless they're screwing someone. :roll:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals