Sterling Round/bar Question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sterling Round/bar Question

Postby wagsthadog » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 pm

Hi all-

I have a buddy who might be selling some silver, but he has a good amount of STERLING rounds and bars. I'm pretty sure its a lot of loose Franklin mint stuff and the like. I dont want to rip him off but I also want to make a little profit, are rounds and bars just bought as sterling scrap? What's usual, about 70% of melt?

Thanks in advance!
wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Sterling Round/bar Question

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:02 am

Do you have a LCS in the area to see what they happen to pay for sterling. Once you know that maybe you could sweet' en the offer to your friend with a higher bid price. That way you win and so does your friend, with him knowing he got a better deal from his close friend than from some lcs. Seeing that a bid price from a brick and mortar coin shop would be quite low, I would think. With you bumping your bid price there would possibly be enough margin for you to make a few dollars for yourself while keeping a piece of mind. Kick the tires and see if this works for you.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals