If this doesn't piss you off...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

If this doesn't piss you off...

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:41 am

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/more-pain-ahead-gold-investors-171322593.html I think maybe I found out what JFF's been up to? :o :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: If this doesn't piss you off...

Postby InfleXion » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:29 am

The first sentence was enough to get my goat. Still calling gold a bubble, part of the lie that gold and silver are commodities and nothing more that the shills love to parrot. Nevermind that they were first irreproduceable elements unlike other non-metal commodities, and that they were money long before markets came and usurped their definition further.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Most of what he's saying is true. Gold is in a bear market, it doesn't provide cashflow, it has indeed dropped a whole hell of a lot from its $1,900 high, etc.

It is obvious from his article, saying you need to pay to store it, etc. that he is not a gold bug and is treating it like a "trade". It has indeed been a bad trade.

One of these days, with the whole world attempting to day trade their way to prosperity by riding various momentum trades, the whole market will come off the rails. I think it will be caused by the fact that everyone now relies on algorithms that will attempt to sell at pre-prescribed "stop loss" points, combined with HFT.

If you don't have faith in electronic day trading and are wary of HFT, and worry about the counterparty risk inherent in the whole system, then gold is a great insurance policy. Right now that insurance policy is on sale.

One of these days this moron and a whole bunch of other day traders will begin flooding into the gold trade, and none of them will receive anything but an IOU written by a bankrupt shell.

Let's stop complaining about the bleating of the sheep. It's in their nature.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:23 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:Most of what he's saying is true. Gold is in a bear market, it doesn't provide cashflow, it has indeed dropped a whole hell of a lot from its $1,900 high, etc.

It is obvious from his article, saying you need to pay to store it, etc. that he is not a gold bug and is treating it like a "trade". It has indeed been a bad trade.

One of these days, with the whole world attempting to day trade their way to prosperity by riding various momentum trades, the whole market will come off the rails. I think it will be caused by the fact that everyone now relies on algorithms that will attempt to sell at pre-prescribed "stop loss" points, combined with HFT.

If you don't have faith in electronic day trading and are wary of HFT, and worry about the counterparty risk inherent in the whole system, then gold is a great insurance policy. Right now that insurance policy is on sale.

One of these days this moron and a whole bunch of other day traders will begin flooding into the gold trade, and none of them will receive anything but an IOU written by a bankrupt shell.

Let's stop complaining about the bleating of the sheep. It's in their nature.

I'm not complaining... I was just offering this up as an example of how "they" use propaganda to brainwash a gullible public. Quasi-accurate data interpreted with their spin, no wonder sentiment is low. In order to retain stalwart strong hands in this climate, you need a doughty attitude to fend off the incessant bleating. :sick:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:32 pm

False: Gold does not provide cash flow.
True: Gold does provide cash flow. Lease, anyone?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Morsecode » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:False: Gold does not provide cash flow.

Yes, that. Plus...what's all this 'storage fee' nonsense? In any commentary decrying PM's as an investment, the writer always mentions storage as a negative.

How difficult is it really to hide a roll or two of gold eagles in your sock drawer :?
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby scyther » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Morsecode wrote:
Rodebaugh wrote:False: Gold does not provide cash flow.

Yes, that. Plus...what's all this 'storage fee' nonsense? In any commentary decrying PM's as an investment, the writer always mentions storage as a negative.

How difficult is it really to hide a roll or two of gold eagles in your sock drawer :?

Seriously... I can see why a lot of people would want to store it somewhere more "secure" (whether it actually is more secure or not) but they always assume everyone will...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Frank t » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

mines is mines and your gonna have to take it. :lol:
Frank t
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Nothing is 100% secure. Keep em guessing. Don't put your trust where it hasn't been earned.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:04 pm

I like the part where he lists what he believes is driving the price, one of them GREED> LOL. Like ANY tradable item, there are speculators, no doubt there. I wonder if the price has been driven by the greed of those who want metals for whatever reason or a global society that inflates its way to prosperity by living beyond its means. To the point we need constant growth for the economy to be "healthy". Now a decent chunk of the entire economy is supported by this false unsustainable paradigm. All from a society that thinks it deserves more then it can actually afford. Wait what was the topic? metals owners are greedy? :roll:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DoctorMetal » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:40 am

I think the writer of the article bashing gold has a vested interest in promoting gold-oriented short ETFs. There are about 17 gold ETFs traded in the USA (see: http://etfdb.com/type/commodity/preciou ... /gold-etf/), and the "traders" in this world tend to be volatility traders looking for a quick buck. There are similar people in the stacker community, called "flippers" and one would think this article and the trader community might look upon them favorably, but instead they continue to denigrate a straw man stereotype they call "gold bugs" who are presumably driven by greed and euphoria. Reading this article and the landscape also reveals our stacker enemies seem to be driven by an antipathy against TV commercials promoting gold and silver physical holdings. For example, witness (on any liberal or progressive blog) the vile hatred spilled out toward William Devane (the spokesman for Rosland Gold). I don't remember having much more than a momentary questionable episode of puzzlement when I first encountered the (comic book) picture of Scrooge McDuck swimming in his pool of gold coins. But nowadays, there are all sorts of made-up evil stereotypes about silver bugs and gold bugs; e.g., Charles Montgomery Burns on the Simpsons. There is a certain prejudice against hoarding (of any kind) in almost every culture, but the extent of evil demonization toward stackers is perhaps only beginning.
DoctorMetal
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals