The $1 difference (suprising)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The $1 difference (suprising)

Postby paymehigher » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:36 pm

Spending an extra dollar on an ounce of silver can really add up fast! For example. If you had $2,000 to buy silver with, you could get 100 ounces at $20/oz. But if you bought in at $19 you could have an additional 5 ounces of silver! That $1 premium really adds up. That extra $1 on 1,000 ounces could mean 50 ounces left out of your stack!
paymehigher
Penny Pincher Member

Re: The $1 difference (suprising)

Postby pennypicker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

This is precisely why I buy generic 1 oz silver rounds instead of ASE's--they're $3 cheaper per round which will be a huge savings in the long run!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby paymehigher » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:55 pm

pennypicker wrote:This is precisely why I buy generic 1 oz silver rounds instead of ASE's--they're $3 cheaper per round which will be a huge savings in the long run!

Exactly, while some may argue that you get the premium back when you sell, I tend to have a different opinion. That extra $2 premium you pay that you get back would be put to better use buying more of the metal. Because as the price goes up that premium will condense and will not expand at the same rate that it used to be. I would rather have 1,050 ounces, then 1,000 ASE's
paymehigher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:59 pm

paymehigher wrote:
pennypicker wrote:This is precisely why I buy generic 1 oz silver rounds instead of ASE's--they're $3 cheaper per round which will be a huge savings in the long run!

Exactly, while some may argue that you get the premium back when you sell, I tend to have a different opinion. That extra $2 premium you pay that you get back would be put to better use buying more of the metal. Because as the price goes up that premium will condense and will not expand at the same rate that it used to be. I would rather have 1,050 ounces, then 1,000 ASE's

I agree with your point..but there is some value to the added liquidity you get for the ASE premium.

If I put a generic and an ASE up for sale here each for .99 over spot which one do you think would sell first?

How many seconds would the ASE last?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby paymehigher » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Thogey wrote:
paymehigher wrote:

I agree with your point..but there is some value to the added liquidity you get for the ASE premium.

If I put a generic and an ASE up for sale here each for .99 over spot which one do you think would sell first?

How many seconds would the ASE last?

True, but I still believe that the generic rounds are best if you see silver going back to the 10:1 GSR.
paymehigher
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm

paymehigher wrote:

What if the price goes down?
TXBullion

Postby Engineer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:47 pm

TXBullion wrote:
paymehigher wrote:

What if the price goes down?

TXBullion hit the nail on the head. Pure silver is more volatile and more susceptible to the whims of the paper market. Premium bullion is more "sticky" on price.

Which one is wisest to choose depends on your circumstances. For a short-term stack that you may need to cash in to pay bills, it may be wisest to go with the premium rounds. If you plan to buy and hold for decades, hundred oz bars may be your best bet.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:07 pm

I don't think you get the growth on the premium if silver goes to new highs. But who knows? It will be the discretion of LCS's and online buyers, both pro and the drive-by Ebay buyer. When premium differentials are 10% of spot right now, that is 10% of $20 equaling the premium delta of generic vs. an SAE, I have some difficulty believing that at silver price of $50 an Eagle will go for a $5 delta over generic. I think the market will offer up silver at thinner margins than that.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Premiums tend more toward a fixed number rather than a percentage.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Treetop » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:47 pm

I read an article once that related various price points as the price has risen the last decade or so. The premium on ASEs actually grew as much as the value of the silver itself according to the article. I wasnt buying that whole time so I wouldnt know.

For me it is ASEs, maples or libertads. Like to cover all bases, and local stores pay much better for those then anything else. certainly the last way Id choose to sell, but best to keep options open.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals