Silver Coins are Magnetic! Something I did not know.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver Coins are Magnetic! Something I did not know.

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:14 pm

I use hard drive magnets from computers I've scrapped. They're pretty strong.
You probably have to use a rare earth magnet.

Put your ASE, 90% or 40% it a plastic coin flip, make sure there are no staples.

Tape a piece of thread to the flip so you can suspend the coin from the thread.
Run you magnet by the coin and watch it move. This is new to me.

You could really freak someone out with this :twisted:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver Coins are Magnetic! Something I did not know.

Postby natsb88 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:29 pm

Silver is diamagnetic. It creates an opposing magnetic field when a magnetic field is applied. If you place a silver coin on a smooth surface and swing a strong magnet closely over it (but not touching), you should be able to scoot the coin around. Copper is also diamagnetic, but much less so than silver. The difference is definitely significant enough to see when you have a real coin/bar and a fake coin/bar (most of the modern fakes are plated brass) side by side and a strong magnet to play with.
natsb88

Postby Thogey » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:33 pm

My coins follow the magnet. But the magnet I'm using is actually two magnets on a hard drive mount.

Could the polarity of the two magnets be causing the coins to follow?

Wow! learning something new everyday. Apparently just about everything is diamagnetic.

The Wikipedia page has a picture of a frog being suspended by a magnetic field.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:22 pm

If the two magnets are on either side of the coin the coin will be magnetically trapped and will be pushed around as you move the magnets. It may appear at first blush like an attraction but it's actually a repulsion. Copper does the same thing.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby BlackOut » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 pm

Somewhat related. I forgot his username here, but the uploader of this video had posted the links here not too long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzLXKFW ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzLXKFW ... ata_player
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby BlackOut » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:23 pm

BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:09 am

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby OtusLotus » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:50 pm

For someone that has built all of these fantastic devices, he sure does have a lot of fake Morgans!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 am

OtusLotus wrote:For someone that has built all of these fantastic devices, he sure does have a lot of fake Morgans!

I hope you aren't assuming he got fooled on all the fakes he bought. Some people want to have fakes around for educational purposes or as decoys for home invasions. It used to be easy to buy fakes on eBay for about $2-3 each including freight til perhaps 2-3 years ago- some were very excellent quality and others were horrible. I understand there are other places where they can still be bought, but am not sure where.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals