What does it for you?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is your favorite type of PMs to own? (i.e) Bullion, Rounds, Mint coins, 90%, 40%, etc.

Bullion
25%
Rounds
6%
90%
50%
40%
2%
Mint Coins
10%
Scrap
No votes
Hand Poured
8%

Total votes : 52

What does it for you?

Postby Silverfondler » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Alright fellow P-Metal heads. I have a poll question for everyone:

I Started out logically enough only purchasing silver bullion. Thinking I don't want to mess with any collector value and only after the raw metal itself and its weight. Now I find myself with a little bit of everything: bullion, rounds, mint coins, walkers and hand poured pieces.

I will start and say my favorite PMs are the hand poured pieces. Atlantis Mint makes a few fine pieces!
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Re: What does it for you?

Postby AdamsSamoa » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:09 pm

I get a little of everything too... but i like bulion from diffrent countrys
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby DoctorMetal » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 pm

I voted for mint coins. Something about being government issued, I suppose, although bullion rounds, bars, and 90%/40% numi has appeal for historical, sentimental, or quirky reasons. What form my fetish takes may change from year to year, even once or twice within a year, but I always seem to come back to Mint coins (US Commems, Canadian Commems, Modern China, Modern Mexico, Perth Mint and NZ Mint stuff, and all those good old mints in Germany (GmBH) and Europe. Pobjoy Mint in the Isle of Man is my favorite. The stuff they crank out is amazingly beautiful, and no one can certainly afford everything in any Mint catalog or lineup, so you got to be picky. Wish they didn't always produce so many animals on coins. Some can flip well if have to sell. Even a .925 from time to time if it's pretty. Admittedly, aesthetics or prettiness ought not to be such a big factor in my stacking, but it is. I enjoy taking them out of their OGP and putting them in custom albums, or presentation boxes or cases. Always building with the core, however, but having a strong core or foundation allows one to branch out into the luxury items from time to time, even trade up for some primo stuff.
DoctorMetal
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 am

Rounds!
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:40 am

RichardPenny43 wrote:Rounds!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

YOWZA!!!!! Where did you get those!

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:30 am

I'm with AdamsS, a little of everything but I really like bullion from other countries. Variety is spice/specie of life. I changed my mind, I want the spice RichardPenny is collecting.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am

and now you know why the Chinese have been stockpiling both silver and gold :o :shock: 8-)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Silverfondler » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:Rounds!

Possibly the best silver piece I have seen yet!
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Gobirds66 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:54 pm

It is not a question of the form I like best, but the form I can get at the best price. I like Ag, Au, Ni, and Cu.
For my CU and Ni, it is face....cause I can get it from my banks cheapest.
War Nickels. Face. I will not pay more than face, because I can usually get it at face by sorting. It takes longer but that is the trade off for face.
I also like my 90% at face as well, but to accumulate the quantity desired, that is not realistic, so.....

When I go to the LCS, I start by asking "what do you have?" He always says, "what do you want?" and then starts listing his stock he has. He will start with ASEs, giving me his price, goes to his generic, and then what he will charge me for 90% and what kinds of 90% he has on hand. He only deals in what comes through his door for the most part. He may go in on a Monster box with another local dealer but my guy is up there in age and I think does it more for fun so he just does not want to lose money. I have been dealing with him enough that I know how he marks up his premium, and he usually tells me what his best deal is without me having to figure it out. We have a lot of trust built over time in a small town where if you deal dirty, you will not deal long....

So my answer goes back to I like best whatever I can get at the best value. It works out well because I get some of everything
If they give you lined paper, write the other way....
Gobirds66
Penny Sorter Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:56 pm

I started out with Silver Proofs and bullion. Eventually, I expanded into a variety of rounds and 90% coins.

It's all good to me! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:47 pm

How about the cheapest I can get.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby J_Dodge » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 pm

What ever I can lay my hands on for the best price.

JD
J_Dodge
Penny Collector Member

Postby Silverfondler » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm

Pretty surprised by the poll outcomes. I would have thought Bullion or possibly even scrap metal would have been a little higher. I did not think 90% would be the sought after metal. Very interesting in my opinion!
Silverfondler
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals