Provident selling worn junk silver by weight

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Provident selling worn junk silver by weight

Postby beauanderos » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 am

well... not exactly :shifty: but at least they're not claiming that dateless Standing Liberty quarters are going to be .715 troy ounces per $100 face.

http://www.providentmetals.com/1-face-standing-liberty-quarters-no-date-minted-1916-1930.html

they must have had some complaints about getting shorted "ounces." They're still selling by face value, just not asserting they'll hit 715 standard.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Provident selling worn junk silver by weight

Postby pennypicker » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:12 pm

When a person is buying ASE's, generic rounds & bars from top outfits like Provident and Apmex you know exactly how much silver you will be getting. However with 90%, especially older bullion such as mercs & walkers, you never really know how many "slicks" they're going to stick you with. This is important to consider because I feel that in the future, when silver nears the $100 mark, dealers will buy 90% by weight as opposed to face. This will eliminate any issues with how many slicks there are in the bag. Some buyers are already adopting this policy on large amounts such as Pawn Stars on tv.

In this regard there are some members here on Realcent with high integrity such as the originator of this thread who regularly sells 90% on the Buy It Now board. Not only do they sell it at a cheaper price than the big on-line dealers but they also sell "quality" 90% meaning they don't salt their rolls with more slicks than one would expect to find from a roll created from random pulls. :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals