Diminishing dimes...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Diminishing dimes...

Postby scyther » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:08 pm

I get 4 boxes of dimes per week. I usually get about 1.5 silvers per box average. But lately the amount of silver has been decreasing a bit. In the last 2 weeks it decreased very sharply. I only got 1 last week and 2 this week total. Has anyone else noticed this happening recently? I live in the Chicago suburbs. It's not a very small town... but I don't know how big the pool of dimes they take from is. I've sorted a few hundred thousand by now... do you think it's possible that I've already exhausted all the dimes that circulate in my area, or am I just having bad luck?

EDIT: Make that 3 silver this week.
Last edited by scyther on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Diminishing dimes...

Postby Engineer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Percentages seem to get worse this time of year because people aren't cashing in as many coins.

It'll pick up again after they've spent their tax returns and student loans.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:20 am

Engineer wrote:Percentages seem to get worse this time of year because people aren't cashing in as many coins.

It'll pick up again after they've spent their tax returns and student loans.

That's good to know... although I don't remember it being like this last year.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:09 pm

You may have just put a temporary dent in the silver to clad ratio yourself. Especially if you're relying on branches of the same bank in your area.

$1000 week x 50 weeks...that's a lotta dimes going back into the churn. Even if you're dumping them at a competitor bank they may use the same armored delivery service.

Give it a while, it'll get back to normal.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dakota1955 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I had the same results today. One thousand dollar bag and only one silver dime. I average 3-5 dimes per bag. I will kept trying for a while yet.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals