I'm thinking or selling Morgans to buy Ag and Au

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I'm thinking or selling Morgans to buy Ag and Au

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:03 pm

I see that you can get $32-39 for 1921 Morgans on e-bay. With shipping and fees this nets about $25-30.

There were about 80 million of them minted in 1921. I just don't see why the premium is there for these.

How about selling some and using the proceeds for a cheaper bullion product?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: I'm thinking or selling Morgans to buy Ag and Au

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:19 pm

I like that idea... I know there are some guys who just love Morgans/Peace dollars... but for me, I can buy an ASE for less! Dollar coins are my smallest segment of silver I own, not even a full tube of them, due to the high cost of them. If you have a bunch of them, I would personally sell several of them and load up on cheap 1oz'ers. In the last 2 years, AG has gone from mid $30's to $19... but the Morgans have remained the same price... but 1oz silver has gone down... that is the deal IMHO. Morgans are just not cost effective as a stacker for me

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm

The sticky prices on Morgans make them great to hold at the highs, but not so great at the lows. At today's prices, unloading the 21's seems like a decent idea.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:52 pm

Seems like a solid lane change at the moment.

You have my blessing.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby John Reich » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:30 pm

I've been debating this very issue as well! I'm thinking of trading my 21 Morgan's & my Peace dollars for ASE's.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Your definitely making the right move. Back in 2011 when silver was $40 an ounce the local coin shop was buying '21s for $27 and 2011 ASE's for $40. At that time there was a huge price disparity between the two. Demand for the '21s was very low and demand for the ASE's was very high.

If you think silver will once again hit $40 an ounce (and it will) you will be much better off sitting on ASE's than '21 Morgans--especially when you can currently buy 2014 ASEs cheaper than '21 Morgans. Frankly speaking I wish the 1921 Morgans were never produced. Without them the pre-'21 Morgans would be even more appealing and sought after than they are now :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 pm

not sure where you're seeing them selling for that price... maybe a few BU blast white ones... the great majority of them with
BIN are overpriced and not selling:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-US-/253/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1921+morgan+silver+dollar&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm

beauanderos wrote:not sure where you're seeing them selling for that price... maybe a few BU blast white ones... the great majority of them with
BIN are overpriced and not selling:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Coins-US-/253/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1921+morgan+silver+dollar&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Don't make me smack you!

They are all not "Blast white" (whatever that means). Most 21's are UNC anyway.

Has Anyone here seen a heavily uncirculated 21?

Look and learn http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... an&_sop=15
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:39 pm

Thogey wrote:Has Anyone here seen a heavily uncirculated 21?

:lol: Nope.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:40 pm

I can make all my 21' blast white in about a minute===TARNEX!

They are ALL heavily uncirculated.
Thogey

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:42 pm

As to the original idea... I think its a good one right now.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:57 pm

Doc... you need to get one of these:

:lol:
beauanderos

Postby RichardPenny43 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:55 pm

Rodebaugh Christ wrote:Seems like a solid lane change at the moment.

Analogy of the day!!!

Blah Blah Blah...
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 am

Why sell, and why do it on ebay? I've done some trades here on rc directly for ase's, etc.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:58 am

beauanderos wrote:Doc... you need to get one of these:

I only collect blond lady liberties. Also need my morgans to be more heavily uncirculated. :shifty:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:07 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Doc... you need to get one of these:

I only collect blond lady liberties. Also need my morgans to be more heavily uncirculated. :shifty:

So... does she have manly brows, or slutty eye shadow... or both? :shock: :sick:

and looks like she is Jay Leno's grandmother :?
beauanderos

Postby Thogey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12 am

Someone paid 32 bucks for that monstrosity on ebay.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

Thogey wrote:Someone paid 32 bucks for that monstrosity on ebay.

the Eagle side is even uglier :sick: :o
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals