Investor Sentiment During Market Cycles

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Investor Sentiment During Market Cycles

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:27 am

Image Some good information included in the following link: http://www.investmentu.com/2011/April/p ... more-19331
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Investor Sentiment During Market Cycles

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:29 am

beauanderos wrote:Image Some good information included in the following link: http://www.investmentu.com/2011/April/p ... more-19331

That's hilarious, but true
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Bump. Now does this chart make more sense?
beauanderos

Postby hejira11 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:01 am

I understand there are a fair number of new investors in precious metals, but I am 43, and there was a TOTAL LACK of money education taught to me in school. Only when I opened a private IRA were the highs and lows of the market and the basic fundamentals explained to me. NO ONE THAT HAS SOLD ME SILVER HAS EVER TRIED TO EDUCATE ME. That may explain some of the trepidation we are seeing.

Looking back to my experience opening that IRA I was with the rep for nearly an hour. I was given a 20 question (or so) test to measure my risk aversion. I came out with a score of "HIGH tolerance for risk." I was explained the fundamentals of high risk/reward ventures, was sold "Growth" funds and was sent on my way. I think we all should go online and google a test like this to see where we are. And gird your loins accordingly. (if you are not aware of your temperment to things like this)

I do not know how to teach patience or high tolerance for risk. I firmly believe from EVERYTHING I have read and seen in the news that the fundamentals for Precious metals are screaming for signifigant gains in the long term.

My money is where my mouth is.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Fri May 06, 2011 10:17 am

"Home economics" used to include book keeping, I understand. By the time I was in HS, it was all cooking, and girls only (never mind boys need to learn some basic cooking skills as well).

I did not learn to balance a check book until college.

So, exactly why is it that college kids get into trouble when they get their first credit card? :roll:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby glass » Fri May 06, 2011 10:36 am

I giggled
glass
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri May 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Here's to hoping we're past capitulation and at despondancy, rather than at a brief rest from fear and desperation before further slide to an even further lower level of panic and final capitulation. I'm fine with being at despondancy at this level for a period of time, and a more measured rise back up into the upper 30s and 40s.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 pm

I think da boyz will leave silver alone and be satisfied to provide the slower fuel for the fire as they gradually cover their shorts while the small public buyers are scared away. The price climb this time will be more subdued, since they continue to "manage" it, but will begin to accelerate again once $40 is broken again. They will let the little silver bugs rush to the precipice of near $50 again, before they push them over the cliff lemmings-style. They want to imbue in the public perception with no doubt, that $50 is an insurmountable obstacle. Even if the next price rise is "non-parabolic" they'll find some justification for bad-mouthing it as they spread disinformation via the talking heads.
beauanderos

Postby hejira11 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 pm

beauanderos wrote:I think da boyz will leave silver alone and be satisfied to provide the slower fuel for the fire as they gradually cover their shorts while the small public buyers are scared away. The price climb this time will be more subdued, since they continue to "manage" it, but will begin to accelerate again once $40 is broken again. They will let the little silver bugs rush to the precipice of near $50 again, before they push them over the cliff lemmings-style. They want to imbue in the public perception with no doubt, that $50 is an insurmountable obstacle. Even if the next price rise is "non-parabolic" they'll find some justification for bad-mouthing it as they spread disinformation via the talking heads.

What are the chances that da boyz have learned their lesson, are backing all their shorts with physical and will end their manipulation and move onto another commodity? :D
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Fri May 06, 2011 7:46 pm

that term da boyz is too funny
TXBullion

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri May 06, 2011 8:26 pm

Mossy wrote:"Home economics" used to include book keeping, I understand. By the time I was in HS, it was all cooking, and girls only (never mind boys need to learn some basic cooking skills as well).

I did not learn to balance a check book until college.

So, exactly why is it that college kids get into trouble when they get their first credit card? :roll:

Mossy,

You must have grown up in a different world from me. My father started a savings account for all his kids when I was 8 yrs. old. He expected us to do jobs to add to our savings acct. and he was the legal guardian of those accts. We could not withdraw any money without his consent (and he rarely consented). I was not allowed a checking acc't until I graduated from high school. I paid for five years of college with the money I saved and/or worked to earn. Credit card companies didn't even want to look at you until your final month of your senior year. I didn't get a credit card until I was 26, married, owned a home and two cars.

I learned to cook over campfires while hunting with my dad, or in Boy Scouts. It was hard to transition some things into the kitchen. Like baking potatoes, etc.

Now that I think about it. You are right. I didn't learn to cook or balance a checkbook in school either. Boys took industrial arts and the girls all took home ec. I could have used help in money management, too. Dad would never let us invest into anything like stocks or bonds. Just straight savings.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I would not trade my childhood for anything, but I would like to have learned more civics and money management. I have to give credit where it is due here. Our Government has done an uncharacteristly supurb job turning the majority of us into sheep. My parents are in their late 60's and they tell me they wish they knew at 43 what I know now.

Anyway, I guess this is off topic.... So I will just add, I am bullish on silver long term. Buying the dips and watching the fundamentals of our economy. Lets just say, If Ron Paul becomes president, and does 25% of what he wants to do. I MAY rethink my position ;)
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Country » Sat May 07, 2011 7:46 am

beauanderos wrote:Image Some good information included in the following link: http://www.investmentu.com/2011/April/p ... more-19331

Hard to tell where we are now. We have seen some euphoria, and have reached the anxiety and fear stages. Usually, it takes awhile on the curve before you reach the true capitulation and despondency stages. Capitualation is where MOST folks think the investment is only going lower and there is no hope left except to get out; cash out and get what you can for your investment. Despondency is a reflextion where folks believe that they were stupid ever getting involved in the investment and vow never to do it again. I don't think the market sentiment cycle curve has been fully played out yet for SILVER. However, while we have seen many of the attributes of the sentiment curve, I would say that we have not reached the true euphoria pinnacle whereby the common person has to have it, JPM capitulates on their short positions, and the government finally considers backing the currency with hard assets. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby beauanderos » Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 am

I believe we just went thru the cycle, the question now is at what stage we're at now? Hope? That we bottomed and may gradually consolidate and rise from this level? (I hope :lol: ) I think what Country says is true, but the height of the waves would account for what he describes... the magnitude of the sentiment will be much higher than currently experienced at that time. You can be certain that anyone who just hopped on board at $50 is now despondent, and the ones who used leverage (to get rich quick) and were forced to capitulate by margin calls (and got poorer quick) will be castigating themselves for a long time.
beauanderos

Postby Country » Mon May 16, 2011 2:57 pm

IMHO, SILVER investors are moving down from the denial phase to the FEAR phase currently. We have to go through the additional phases of DESPARATION, PANIC, CAPITULATION, AND DESPONDENCY before SILVER bottoms. It may take awhile....
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Country » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Where are we now? Where are you on the Investor Sentiment Cycle?
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby justoneguy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:51 pm

CAPITULATION
or so it looks from where I sit.
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:09 pm

I'm personally trying to stuff as much into my basket and get through the register before the owner realizes that the new stockboy mismarked all the product!
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:58 pm

For those of us in for the long haul, you can reverse the graph. I am personally thrilled to be buying at these levels. On the other hand... I'm not selling :lol:
beauanderos

Postby cooyon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:18 pm

beauanderos wrote:For those of us in for the long haul, you can reverse the graph. I am personally thrilled to be buying at these levels. On the other hand... I'm not selling :lol:

+1
Amen, brother!
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals