90% silver coin premiums dropping fast

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

90% silver coin premiums dropping fast

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Just an FYI.

I've been tracking this on Apmex over the past couple weeks. 90% junk premiums have dropped between 50-70% over the past 4 weeks. Standard 90% $100FV, $500FV and $1000FV bags now 0.99 cents over spot. http://www.apmex.com/product/27/90-silver-coins-100-face-value-bag. They also have free shipping on all 90% through 7/24 midnight.

I already have all the 90% I need, but it might be a good time to pick some up if you want/need it.

Maybe it's even cheaper on other sites, I haven't checked.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: 90% silver coin premiums dropping fast

Postby smackvay » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 pm

dang that's cheap
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby dae2dae » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:52 pm

hopefully the days of buying junk silver at junk prices are back
dae2dae
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Neckro » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 pm

It should be lower. It's rediculous you can get .999 for lower premium than junk.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:12 pm

Neckro wrote:It should be lower. It's rediculous you can get .999 for lower premium than junk.

How much .999 is available vs. how much 'junk''?
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Apmex stuff is so picked over, it is possible that is the only way they can sell it.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:38 pm

Thogey wrote:Apmex stuff is so picked over, it is possible that is the only way they can sell it.

Not disagreeing with the OP, but also agree with Thogey that modern bulk bags are typically loaded with crap. You can get high quality stuff sold here for barely a little more.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Thogey wrote:Apmex stuff is so picked over, it is possible that is the only way they can sell it.

Not disagreeing with the OP, but also agree with Thogey that modern bulk bags are typically loaded with crap. You can get high quality stuff sold here for barely a little more.

Sure, they probably remove the gems and sell them at a higher premium, but all bullion dealers do this. No one should buy 90% bag from a dealer thinking they're going to find a UNC 1916 standing lib quarter or a 1916D merc dime... it just ain't gonna happen.

I've bought 90% from Ampex a few times during the mid-2000's, and the coins were always in very decent shape... very few slicks. About 50% of it was late 50's/early 60's coins in AU-BU shape. Things may have changed since then, I don't know.

I've dealt with Apmex many times and I've never had a problem with them. They ship the stuff quickly. If you sell to them, they pay you quickly. Great customer service too.

I just posted this as an FYI to the forum members here.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 pm

I did find three BU 1916 Merc dimes once (sure, it was years ago, maybe 2005) in a $1000 face bag of them from APMEX. That's about it though
for the brags from that source.

I picked up a lot of quarters from another member here who bought them off of Provident... and it was nothing
but worn crap. Out of 200 quarters there were only 11 I wanted keep for myself, and about sixty or seventy I would sell to others... the rest went
into the junk bag that got sold back when it hit $500 face.

Now... if everyone is doing this, you can see that over time the quality of their stock
is going to degrade. :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:44 pm

We know you are hoarding all the good stuff Ray. Every now and then you let us get a taste when you need to do a big deal. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals