What's in Your Stack?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Would you pay extra to ensure the authenticity of your stack?

1. Yes, I've already made plans to buy a bullion verifier.
17%
2. I would feel more comfortable paying extra for authenticated coins.
13%
3. Why pay extra? There are no fakes out there.
No votes
4. I'm not paying a penny more. I trust my own judgment.
10%
5. There are methods for testing that don't require expensive alternatives.
22%
6. If I only buy from online dealers I'll be safe.
3%
7. No.
11%
8. There are probably a lot more counterfeits out there than people realize.
24%

Total votes : 63

What's in Your Stack?

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:24 am

Obviously, as made evident by the number of participants in Nate's Sigma Analyzer group buy, many member's are growing more and more concerned regarding the proliferation of counterfeit coins, bars, and rounds being fabricated in China. You can either combat it, on an individual basis, at considerable cost (yet just averting one mistake on an ounce of gold will recoup your investment)... or trust the source of your purchases as being unimpeachable. The trouble is, the fakes are getting so good that even the experts can be fooled. No one is infallible.

Here's the question. If you haven't already made plans to buy your own bullion verifier, would you pay a modest increase in 90% silver roll price, or on any size gold item, as a guarantee that someone else has already gone to the effort to ascertain their 100% authenticity?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What's in Your Stack?

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:35 pm

I am buying a verifier for the peace of mind when buying any precious metal. It is awesome that it does platinum and palladium too as I would have no idea besides basic looks on how to tell if those were real. If I did not access to one I would definitely feel better about purchasing stuff from someone who did and verified the goods before selling them. It should be very fascinating to see how much counterfeit stuff is out there once these get shipped to all the members here and on BS. I think I have gotten pretty good at knowing what is real by experience but there has been a few items I have which I have a slight amount of doubt about. These really should boost confidence across the board for metal enthusiasts/investors! :thumbup:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Gamecock » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:23 pm

If I don't trust a seller to sell me legit stuff, why would I trust a verifier to verify it for me? Unless the verifier was someone I knew personally and could trust. How do we know the verifiers aren't lying just like the sellers? What if a liar sells you some fake stuff, then you get it verified by a lying verifier and take a double hit?
"When a government overvalues one type of money and undervalues another, the undervalued money will leave the country or disappear from circulation into hoards, while the overvalued money will flood into circulation."
Gamecock
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:30 pm

People make mistakes and even experienced people that you trust can be fooled. This adds more certainty to what seems legitimate. There are many people on the boards who I trust not to rip me off, but even those I trust are good people and would not purposefully sell a fake item can be fooled by others selling a well made counterfeit. You can't fool a machine like this unless the real metal is layered extremely thickly over a base metal which is prohibitively expensive to do for counterfeiters.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:26 pm

My stack by and large is what it is. This came too late for me. While it is not the complete end of my stacking the immediate future is focused on finishing non-PM preps, and the bulk of my remaining buying will be from a limited number of super trusted buyers and/or the OEMs themselves. Will I be willing to pay a slight premium from a trusted source if the untrusted competition is cheaper - sure. But generally I am already doing that. I think the benefit will come from the wholesalers who can buy cheap but verify it - then flip at a higher price that can include that the item passed the verifer.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Just fyi I voted 2/5 with the added expectation that these verifiers will eventually come way down in price - half or less than current prices. So I don't rule out eventually getting one for myself so I can verify what I have before I trade/sell.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:05 pm

Usually, when new "in-demand" items are marketed they target the high-end buyers first. When that niche is spent out, then the price will
be lowered to pick up sales from people who weren't willing to spend as much, or a cheaper model will be produced. Finally, after many months,
the lowest price offering will be introduced. Same format with X-box, Ipod, Iphones, etc.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby baggerman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 pm

Gamecock wrote:If I don't trust a seller to sell me legit stuff, why would I trust a verifier to verify it for me? Unless the verifier was someone I knew personally and could trust. How do we know the verifiers aren't lying just like the sellers? What if a liar sells you some fake stuff, then you get it verified by a lying verifier and take a double hit?

The Verifier is an electronic piece of equipment that is used to verify a fake or genuine piece. There are some folks who are very experienced with PMs and have taken some pretty good hits.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:34 pm

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that silver coins which are raw (dimes, quarters and halves from the U.S.) can be verified with a simple drop test. Take a non-silver coin of the same denomination and drop it on a table from about 3-4 inches above the surface. The silver coin will have a distinct high pitch sound that should be virtually impossible to duplicate. I don't know what to do with American Eagles, since I don't have one made out of base metal to compare. Gold coins should be certified or more rigorously tested.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 am

beauanderos wrote:Usually, when new "in-demand" items are marketed they target the high-end buyers first. When that niche is spent out, then the price will
be lowered to pick up sales from people who weren't willing to spend as much, or a cheaper model will be produced. Finally, after many months,
the lowest price offering will be introduced. Same format with X-box, Ipod, Iphones, etc.

Yup...
68Camaro

Postby reddirtcoins » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

I just got it for the fun of it....
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:40 am

I saw the group buy and looked for a link for data and info about the device. I did not see a link, so I assumed the device doesn't exist.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am

IdahoCopper wrote:I saw the group buy and looked for a link for data and info about the device. I did not see a link, so I assumed the device doesn't exist.

http://www.sigmametalytics.com/purchase.html
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:10 am

I only buy US 90% and 40% silver coinage in the $5 to 10 FV rolls, which I glass every single coin when I get it. I have rolls of ASE's, that I glass, and am 100% confident they are .999 Ag.

The latest ASE rolls I bought have been NGC slabbed "Gem Uncrc rolls of 20.

I don't buy rounds or ingots, only US coins, as currency insurance, hard money.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am

I'm with Neil, and voted #4. I trust my ability to tell a fake Roosevelt dime from the real deal...if there even is such a thing as a fake dime. Or rather enough of them to really worry about.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:22 pm

Morsecode wrote:I'm with Neil, and voted #4. I trust my ability to tell a fake Roosevelt dime from the real deal...if there even is such a thing as a fake dime. Or rather enough of them to really worry about.

I thought Nate ordered some from China to look at.. maybe he can tell if they ring differently
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Last in first out. I trust those items I held the longest. Plan to keep them the longest.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Verbane » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:46 pm

About 80% of my buying and selling is local, with the rest split between RC, BS, and ebay. I'm looking forward to having a nondestructive method to help verify less common bullion or Numi items. Between working the auction house, assisting two LCS, and chasing my own deals, I'm starting to see more questionable stuff than ever before.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals