Coin Roll Success!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Coin Roll Success!

Postby silverstacker » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:59 pm

So I bought a few $250 boxes of dimes the other day and finally found time to start going through them . Opened 4 rolls before my girls took my attention away. In the first 4 rolls I found 2 Rosie's. Can't wait to go through the rest!$
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Coin Roll Success!

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:26 pm

oh, oh... now you're hooked :shock: :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cent1225 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:31 pm

Not to jinx you but I have done that before and then found none in the rest of the box.
Hope you hit it though
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Good luck with the rest!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:12 pm

silverstacker wrote:So I bought a few $250 boxes of dimes the other day and finally found time to start going through them . Opened 4 rolls before my girls took my attention away. In the first 4 rolls I found 2 Rosie's. Can't wait to go through the rest!$

I guess the rest of them were Mercury dimes

:D
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:24 pm

Cent1225 wrote:Not to jinx you but I have done that before and then found none in the rest of the box.
Hope you hit it though

Well almost... 4 silver dimes in the first $250 box. I'm happy it could have been zero :D
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:39 pm

0-1 unusual
2 is average
3-4 great
5+ awesome

That's my own unscientific analysis from local experience. Mostly String boxes, but last week I even found 2 in one of those normally awful clear tube boxes (from Brinks maybe?)
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby silverstacker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Morsecode wrote:0-1 unusual
2 is average
3-4 great
5+ awesome

That's my own unscientific analysis from local experience. Mostly String boxes, but last week I even found 2 in one of those normally awful clear tube boxes (from Brinks maybe?)

I'm semi-new to opening these boxes and searching for 90% but I have to say that if 0-1 is unusual then that's better then I expected. Thanks for your analysis :thumbup:
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:12 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:
silverstacker wrote:So I bought a few $250 boxes of dimes the other day and finally found time to start going through them . Opened 4 rolls before my girls took my attention away. In the first 4 rolls I found 2 Rosie's. Can't wait to go through the rest!$

I guess the rest of them were Mercury dimes

:D

Ha! I see what you mean. My bad :shh:
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ME Co. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I used to search for them lil slivers. I can tell you its a volume game, in three years I pulled almost 3,000 of the lil buggars. Guess I got them all as last time I tried it took 10 boxes to get one sliver- get them while you can. HH Mark
"Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once."
ME Co.

Postby silverstacker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:57 pm

ME Co. wrote:I used to search for them lil slivers. I can tell you its a volume game, in three years I pulled almost 3,000 of the lil buggars. Guess I got them all as last time I tried it took 10 boxes to get one sliver- get them while you can. HH Mark

Wow I would be very disgruntled if in ten boxes I got one shiny one. Any luck with quarters?
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Forget quarters. No-one has much luck with those.

Dimes fly under the radar because of their size, and who besides coin people look at dimes anyway? Halves don't circulate at all, except between bank vaults and the random old hoard cashed in at face value. Enough to keep Half Hunting alive.

Silver quarters ring out and are handled by too many people. Along the way, chances are high someone else will pull them out of circulation before you do.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby silverstacker » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:09 pm

Morsecode wrote:Forget quarters. No-one has much luck with those.

Dimes fly under the radar because of their size, and who besides coin people look at dimes anyway? Halves don't circulate at all, except between bank vaults and the random old hoard cashed in at face value. Enough to keep Half Hunting alive.
Silver quarters ring out and are handled by too many people. Along the way, chances are high someone else will pull them out of circulation before you do.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the dimes. My grandfather had old Whitman books that he started but didn't complete before his death. While going through looking for the silver I'm also trying to complete the dime collection. I vowed not to purchase the dimes to fill the spots that are missing. Makes the process much longer because I'm now looking for dates and mint marks but I enjoy it. Thanks!
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ME Co. » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:31 pm

silverstacker wrote:
Morsecode wrote:Forget quarters. No-one has much luck with those.

Makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I will stick with the dimes. My grandfather had old Whitman books that he started but didn't complete before his death. While going through looking for the silver I'm also trying to complete the dime collection. I vowed not to purchase the dimes to fill the spots that are missing. Makes the process much longer because I'm now looking for dates and mint marks but I enjoy it. Thanks!

I met a guy at the coin counter several years ago who told ME he did quarters and usually found 1/box so when I cashed out I got a box, sure enough I got a sliver. Next day I got another box with 2 silvers. Then I went on a 10 box skunk streak and quit. Several weeks or months later I tried again but they could only spare a rack which is $100, got 19 out of that and for the next 2 weeks I bought every box this banks branches could spare ending with another long skunk streak, all told I got 250 silvers, most in one box was 58.
There was a lot of stuff showing up in boxes when the economy fell and the change jars got cashed in, glad I was a CRH, it kept ME afloat :lol: HH all, Mark
"Life is a coin, you can spend it any way you want but you can only spend it once."
ME Co.

Postby ZenOps » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:05 am

Quarters are well picked over.

Its pretty much the exact same thing with nickel metal quarters in Canada now - 25c are being mechanically sorted and removed much faster than any other face value. It almost feels "planned" like there is some greater power out there that leaves dimes with some value in circulation to keep the masses happy for decades beyond when the other coins have run dry.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals