Milk spots

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Milk spots

Postby silverstacker » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:14 pm

Need a little guidance here. I've been stacking for some time now and have never ran in to this situation until now. The place the I have my silver is in a climate controlled environment but I decided a few months ago to put some dehumidifying cartridges inside to insure that moisture was staying out ( as a fail safe). I recently went and looked through a few tubes and noticed milk spots that previously weren't there.

I don't know how milk spots happen or what the cause of them are. All I know is that some of my BU coins now have these ugly spots.

Any thoughts or ideas to help me here as I'm pretty disappointed

Thanks in advance.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Milk spots

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:10 am

If these are silver American Eagles or junk silver coins (even BU) and you didn't pay a numismatic premium, I wouldn't be concerned at all. If these are truly rare dates and you paid a big numismatic premium, I'd consider relocating them. Just curious- do you have any PCGS or NGC certified coins that developed milk spots? I would think they wouldn't be affected, but I am curious nonetheless.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:11 am

Are the milk spots on Maples?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:58 am

I haven't seen any on the maples but there are still some tubes I didn't open due to frustration.

None of the graded pieces that I have checked have the milk spots.

It's like my collection has contracted malaria :(
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:22 am

I have seen milk spots show up on Canadian and Australian bullion that was mint sealed and never opened.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:36 am

silverstacker wrote:
It's like my collection has contracted malaria :(

it's the dreaded milkbola virus. Sorry to hear that. :(
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 pm

Water spots can be removed with a pencil eraser. Make sure the eraser is new and unused.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals