Gold and Silver as Standards of Value

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold and Silver as Standards of Value

Postby theo » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:41 pm

http://www.24hgold.com/english/news-gol ... er+Spooner

"The first question, then, to be settled is this, - namely, what is that fixed or definite value (or something like a fixed or defi­nite value) which gold and silver coins have, and which enables them to be used as standards for measuring the values of other things?

The answer is that the true and natural market value of gold and silver coins is that value, and only that value, which they have for use or consumption as metals, - that is, for plate, watches, jewelry, gilding, dentistry, and other ornamental and useful purposes. This is the value at which they now stand in the markets of the world, as is proved by the fact that doubtless not more than one-tenth, and very likely not more than one-twentieth, of all the gold and silver in the world (out of the mines) is in circulation as money. All the rest is in plate, watches, jewelry, and the like; except that in some parts of the world, where property in general is unsafe, large amounts of gold and silver are hoarded and concealed to prevent their being taken by rapacious governments, or public enemies, or private robbers. Leaving these hoards out of account, doubtless nine-tenths, and very likely nineteen-twentieths, of all the gold and silver of the world are in other forms than coin."

. . . and the article goes on for another 2000 words. It is an effective (if a bit exhaustive) defense of gold and silver as the ultimate store of value. I've seen many articles make the same defense of PMs, complete with clever analogies and historical examples. Yet their effect is sadly negligible. Like using Socratic reasoning with house pets, being right carries no benefit or recognition. Such arguments must be made to be sure, but at present they fall on the deaf ears of a poorly educated public and an openly hostile financial media. PM advocates seem to be slow to realize that they are in a public relations war and they are losing badly. The other side (Media, Bankers, shadowdy elite. . .take your pick) have created the perception that PMs are nothing more than a desperate fringe investment a made it reality. . . at least for now. The public at large will need to feel the painful consequences of centrally managed fiat currency before there is any chance of them realizing that there must be an objective, uncompromising standard of value. Only then will articles like the one above begin to make headway.
Last edited by theo on Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Gold and Silver as Standards of Value

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:24 am

I had skimmed it, also found it unnecessarily exhaustive (but that was a type of style of that day). But it seemed to me he was really arguing against an issue that we don't have today which was bankers trying to make pm coin worth more than their base metal value. A type of fiat I suppose but far different from our current state.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Gold and Silver as Standards of Value

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:38 pm

theo wrote:the true and natural market value of gold and silver coins is that value, and only that value, which they have for use or consumption as metals, - that is, for plate, watches, jewelry, gilding, dentistry, and other ornamental and useful purposes.

Lysander was correct. The value of gold for plate, wiring, and other commercial purposes is perhaps $250/ounce at best. I guess I'll make a sacrifice and buy gold at $300/ounce. PM me and I'll grudgingly take it off your hands :)

BTW, I really tried to read his article but couldn't handle all of the extranious verbiage. For instance, what has Lysander really said here:

"The solution of these questions is that the original, primal source of all the demand for them as money - the essential and only reason why they have market value, and sell so readily in exchange for other commodities - is simply because they are wanted to be taken out of circulation, and converted into plate, Jew­elry, and other articles of use."

All he said was that gold is useful as a medium of exchange and is used for shiny things. But it took him a fifty-nine word run-on sentence to say it. I couldn't finish his article. I tried, but I just couldn't stomach his verbose style.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals