"Sealed Tubes" and thoughts on the subject

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"Sealed Tubes" and thoughts on the subject

Postby silverstacker » Wed May 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Would like some feedback on a subject that I've been thinking of for some time now and would welcome any thoughts or suggestions.

I work for a company that manufactures and sells security seals and security tapes used on very complex security seal and security tape applications. That can range from being blank with no residue or a residue that cannot be removed without proper solvent. The security tapes we currently sell come standard with little to no information all the way up to barcoding (all 3 major numbers) and RFID chips with sequential numbering. We also sell governmental sealed and security tapes down to tube tapes that I'm currently working on to discuss with mints on that will actually show "void" or "opened" messages on the tube itself or the tape when opened.

A few months back I had an issue with JM Bullion that you may recall regarding "Sealed Tubes" that were being offered ( that issue was resolved and JM Bullion did one hell of a job in corrective action as we all know which I applaud them for) and how easy it is to manipulate inferior seals something as simple as a hairdryer and other methods that I choose not to disclose.

Since my company controls the market in terms of sales and technology seals I'm actively trying to talk to company's other than Government mints that we already supply down to larger private mints as a way to insure a tube is actually sealed and doesn't just have a piece of tape across the top. Sometimes I've seen them half sealed on one side which makes no sense to me as you can see a bend in the tape as they search for the premium MS70 and MS69 coins.

I've stated earlier this can be manipulated very easily. Security tapes that show when tubes have been opened come in a variety of ways (290 sky's thus far). My favorite is a seal that has numerous triangular cuts throughout the seal that when opened literally cracks in all different directions. This is a great seal that is cost effective when talking about the right PM and type. These again can be barcoded In all of the 3 major barcode numbers with company Mint logos and sequential numbering. Also, in non-residue and residue seals.

IMO This is the way to go on very premium coins and PM. I also feel that this is a product that can help grow sales within the mints as they can now offer a secured sealed tube properly and have security measures put in place that can guarantee the tube has not been tampered with. We're currently in discussion with JM on larger box type cable and security bolt seals down to tote seals for bulk. My thought is that this can be used by all mints even generics to some extent so there's no question if a tube is "mint sealed or not" these seals are not "China low quality seals that can also display voided messages if it's shaken to hard or is in an environment with high or low temperatures. These are USA made quality seals that don't bend over time at the edges and so on and so forth.

I would welcome any thoughts or ideas as i continue in this industry as a business development opportunity. From airlines to cash in transit customers we are already in every industry that recognizes a need for a product like this. Since this is my hobby and I'm a stacker I thought I would bring this to the great minds of RC and let me here some thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: "Sealed Tubes" and thoughts on the subject

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu May 21, 2015 8:48 am

Sealed tubes must not rattle or make any "coin noise" when being shipped. If noisy, there is a much higher chance of mail theft.

If they make noise, the seal must be broken to insert cushioning to prevent noise.

Add that fact to your mix.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Re: "Sealed Tubes" and thoughts on the subject

Postby silverstacker » Thu May 21, 2015 11:41 am

IdahoCopper wrote:Sealed tubes must not rattle or make any "coin noise" when being shipped. If noisy, there is a much higher chance of mail theft.

If they make noise, the seal must be broken to insert cushioning to prevent noise.

Add that fact to your mix.

Great Point Thank you!
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals