What Happens with Massive Counterfeit Silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What Happens with Massive Counterfeit Silver?

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:57 am

I just want to throw this out there for the heck of it. What would happen if all of a sudden we realized that some huge amount of all the silver in coin shops everywhere (something like 50%) was counterfeit. I'm not saying the real number is anywhere close to that. But what if it was something like 50%?

For one thing, there would likely be lots of coin dealers who'd go out of business. Secondly, there would likely be a lot more people buying counterfeit detection devices of all types. Quarters and halves everywhere may get the proverbial drop test on a tabletop (from about 3"-4" above the surface) to listen for that familiar silver ring.

If this happened several decades ago, there would have been lots of counterfeit silverware. That would be a strange thing to see.

Unfortunately, one of the negative side affects would be that there would be a lot more people who'd be afraid to buy silver, because they'd be worried they'd get stuck with counterfeits.

How would this affect things like solar panels and computer keyboards if they were made with counterfeit silver? I guess that the gifts people give for their silver (25th) wedding anniversaries would get quite a bit cheaper! I wonder how jewelers would be affected.

What else would happen?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What Happens with Massive Counterfeit Silver?

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:51 am

Really? - you stretch this too far. The second thing to happen (after people freaked out for a day or two) is that people would learn to detect counterfeit silver. That's it. If they needed a device to do it they would get one, or they would only buy from someone that had one and would guarantee their product.

Counterfeit are out there now. They always have been, even when coinage was PM. There will be some damage and some loss, but people and businesses will learn.

As far as industry, a) manufacturers buy assayed product, and b) you simply can't make the products that use silver out of non-silver - the processes just don't work, so it can't happen.

Not to fret...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:37 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Unfortunately, one of the negative side affects would be that there would be a lot more people who'd be afraid to buy silver, because they'd be worried they'd get stuck with counterfeits.

Interestingly enough the FBI after a long investigation concluded that roughly 75% of all sports autographs are forgeries yet people still pay big money for non-certified ones.

It is also estimated that an astounding 95% of Confederate Civil War artifacts in the marketplace are counterfeits as well yet people still pay big money for anything Confederate.

My point is that no matter how polluted a particular investment pool is, be it silver or whatever, people will still knowingly jump into it :o
Last edited by pennypicker on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:58 am

We still spend dollars... and those have been counter-fiat ever since the Fed went crazy. :sick:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:50 am

beauanderos wrote:We still spend dollars... and those have been counter-fiat ever since the Fed went crazy. :sick:

+1
.....best answer lol :clap:
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals