PMs are down sharply this morning!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

PMs are down sharply this morning!

Postby theo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:24 am

Gold is down 1.5% and silver is down over 5%. Amazing!

http://dollarcollapse.com/
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: PMs are down sharply this morning!

Postby deacon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:44 am

Yeah, other commodities are down as well. Oil at 55 a barrel as well. The market in general has been flat this year. Maybe we are finally due for a recession. It's been seven years since the last one.

Still, with the euro doing poorly because of all this grexit stuff, why aren't people turning to gold and silver as safe havens? Seems very strange.

I'd say back up the truck, but with this market it might be worth waiting for a bit more of a drop.
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:06 am

theo wrote:Gold is down 1.5% and silver is down over 5%. Amazing!

Copper is down 4.5% as well. :evil:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby alpacafarmer » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Paper price is down but I was just on Provident web site and they have raised their premium on their cheapest rounds from 69 cents above spot to 1.50 over spot and almost everything is either sold out or delayed.
alpacafarmer
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:50 pm

alpacafarmer wrote:Paper price is down but I was just on Provident web site and they have raised their premium on their cheapest rounds from 69 cents above spot to 1.50 over spot and almost everything is either sold out or delayed.

Yep, saw silver at $15.18 this morning and immediately went to Provident to purchase some of my favorite 5 oz rounds that they had just restocked only yesterday--and they were all sold out--supposedly :roll:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby aloneibreak » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:12 pm

jmbullion still has 10 oz RMC's at 0.79 over...
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:16 pm

Well, I'd much rather have PMs up 5% or more today, but I learned to take a punch long ago. This is just another example of market manipulation with a huge infusion of cash suddenly entering the PM arena.

I have been fortunate to snag some big silver years ago. Ha! I still remember the LCS owner at the time scolding me by saying, "Silver is at $6.88 per TOZ. You're never going to get your money out of this. Mark my words!" Told him then he was a goof. Would tell him the same if he was still alive.

My fundamentals for acquiring PMs remain steadfast. Back up the truck. At these prices I may be able to fill a trailer, too. No time to be nervous. To calm any potential jitters, take a couple of larger size silver coins. (They can even be culls, if you wish.) Drop them on a hard surface. Hear the ring of sound money? C'mon. Do it again. I'll never forget that sound. You shouldn't either.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:43 pm

Look at what happened to PMs in 2008... they fell right along with the stock market. The same thing will happened when this phony stock market crashes. Keep lots of dry powder ready.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:32 pm

highroller4321 wrote:

If you think that's bad, nickel spot dropped 9%. On the bright side, it's certainly a good time for nickel-hoarders to stock up!
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Know Common Cents wrote: To calm any potential jitters, take a couple of larger size silver coins. (They can even be culls, if you wish.) Drop them on a hard surface. Hear the ring of sound money? C'mon. Do it again. I'll never forget that sound. You shouldn't either.

:clap: :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:31 pm

Dr. Cadmium wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:

If you think that's bad, nickel spot dropped 9%. On the bright side, it's certainly a good time for nickel-hoarders to stock up!

5 year low for Silver, Gold, Nickel, and Copper!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby messymessy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:40 pm

deacon wrote:Still, with the euro doing poorly because of all this grexit stuff, why aren't people turning to gold and silver as safe havens? Seems very strange.

Yup, you're right. In times of uncertainty, precious metals usually go up. It does seem strange.

Wild ass guess, but perhaps the Greek government or Greek banking system is selling off precious metals to meet the rising demand for cash.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 pm

I think, at this point and time, PMs cannot be allowed to be viewed as a reliable store of value. The currency system may be so vulnerable that it cannot tolerate even the slightest competition.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals