I bought some Gold today...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Postby fansubs_ca » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:27 am

..for purely practical use. ^_^
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I bought some Gold today...

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:45 pm

1/25 of an ounce? :)

I prefer 1/10 Canadian maples.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:23 pm

has anyone invented a gold card yet? Meaning a credit card sized doohickey with an imbedded gold strip upon it?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 am

beauanderos wrote:has anyone invented a gold card yet? Meaning a credit card sized doohickey with an imbedded gold strip upon it?

I remember hearing about a really expensive credit card a couple years ago that was gold infused.

I was thinking lately, since waiting for some country to do a gold backed currency hasn't yet worked out, might it be possible to create legal novelty items infused with however many grains of gold or silver were in the original dollars, without actually calling them dollars? I think that is what got the Liberty Dollar into trouble, although it may have just been a scapegoat excuse. Maybe divide the amount of grains by 100 for practicality due to inflation :sick: .. have it say something like '10 grains silver' without labelling what it is. Basically just like a round except more practical for your wallet or your pocket without needing a capsule or a flip.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 am

InfleXion wrote:
beauanderos wrote:has anyone invented a gold card yet? Meaning a credit card sized doohickey with an imbedded gold strip upon it?

I remember hearing about a really expensive credit card a couple years ago that was gold infused.

I was thinking lately, since waiting for some country to do a gold backed currency hasn't yet worked out, might it be possible to create legal novelty items infused with however many grains of gold or silver were in the original dollars, without actually calling them dollars? I think that is what got the Liberty Dollar into trouble, although it may have just been a scapegoat excuse. Maybe divide the amount of grains by 100 for practicality due to inflation :sick: .. have it say something like '10 grains silver' without labelling what it is. Basically just like a round except more practical for your wallet or your pocket without needing a capsule or a flip.

A black card is all I need
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 am

InfleXion wrote:

http://valaurum.com/
natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:47 am

Interesting, thanks for info. I like the concept but don't like the price. It nets out at double spot, or higher. They are going to have to come down in price per unit before they compete with traditional minted coin. Why buy 1/10 gram of gold when you can buy silver dimes? That is the historical place of silver - to take the place of small denominations.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37 am

68Camaro wrote:Interesting, thanks for info. I like the concept but don't like the price. It nets out at double spot, or higher. They are going to have to come down in price per unit before they compete with traditional minted coin. Why buy 1/10 gram of gold when you can buy silver dimes? That is the historical place of silver - to take the place of small denominations.

True... but when eventual silver scarcity becomes extremely high (it will happen, folks, but might take another decade or two) the Aurum could be an easily transportable, fungible means of trade.
I like the concept. Having the ability to modify the value of the bills creates even greater viability (gold rises, print 1/100th of a gram bills). Much easier, and more accurate, than carrying around a scale and clipping hunks
or chips off your gold coin. Yes, silver coins are useful, however there is a place for both, methinks. of course, I've already been stockpiling carded gram gold for a couple of years :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:12 pm

beauanderos wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Interesting, thanks for info. I like the concept but don't like the price. It nets out at double spot, or higher. They are going to have to come down in price per unit before they compete with traditional minted coin. Why buy 1/10 gram of gold when you can buy silver dimes? That is the historical place of silver - to take the place of small denominations.

True... but when eventual silver scarcity becomes extremely high (it will happen, folks, but might take another decade or two) the Aurum could be an easily transportable, fungible means of trade.
I like the concept. Having the ability to modify the value of the bills creates even greater viability (gold rises, print 1/100th of a gram bills). Much easier, and more accurate, than carrying around a scale and clipping hunks
or chips off your gold coin. Yes, silver coins are useful, however there is a place for both, methinks. of course, I've already been stockpiling carded gram gold for a couple of years :shifty:

Don't worry your secret is safe with me :shh:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:41 pm

The most expensive business card: http://blackastrum.com/

Sidebar: Adam Youngs does not need a card like this because everyone already knows who he is... :D
Copper Catcher

Postby Tinbox » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:35 am

Manufacturing costs are too significant on such a small item, 1/10th of a gram. Even gram bars usually trade at 15-25% premiums which is still too high imo.
Tinbox

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:30 am

Tinbox wrote:Manufacturing costs are too significant on such a small item, 1/10th of a gram. Even gram bars usually trade at 15-25% premiums which is still too high imo.

Shouldn't apply to this process, if you watched the video. They are basically laminating gold foil with plastic, in sheets, in a semi-continuous process. The manufacturing cost in bulk shouldn't be more than a few cents each in low volume, and fractions of a cent in high volume (plus the gold).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:46 am

I just went to the Valaurum website and am duly impressed. These units look very good, the site is professional, and it has a catchy product name.

I really like that images can be printed within each auurm. Of course at 250% spot for individual sales, or 2x spot for bulk sales, this is a tough sell.

I wonder what the economy of scaling up could do to the price-over-spot? If you made 1,000,000 1/10th gram aurums, that would require 100,000 grams of 24k gold. Using kilobars as the source at today's spot of $34,867.48 each, 100 bars would cost ~$3.49M, before making it into thin film gold and laminating it. Each aurum would have ~$3.50 worth of gold.

Perhaps a 15% seignorage over spot could be maintained at that level of production, making each aurum exchange for $4.00 each, $0.50 over spot. A "print run" of 1M aurum would give the minter $500,000, minus all production costs.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:56 pm

Tinbox wrote:Manufacturing costs are too significant on such a small item, 1/10th of a gram. Even gram bars usually trade at 15-25% premiums which is still too high imo.

I doubt if there would be anything left to purchase for so little if the economy crashed like that.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals