So much for "buying on the dip"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

So much for "buying on the dip"

Postby pennypicker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:20 pm

Last week I had my eye on three silver items at APMEX when silver was $14.60 but I held off and decided to wait for an anticipated dip.

This morning the dip arrived and with silver at $14.01 I go to APMEX and all three items were HIGHER than they were last week with silver .59 cents higher--so much for buying on the dip :?
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: So much for "buying on the dip"

Postby silverflake » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Is this the unofficial 'paper/physical' disconnect? Certainly seems it.

Crazy stuff friends.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:59 pm

$7.49 over spot for 90%?

Insane.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 am

I was going to buy some palladium but it sold out! The silver I'm eyeing is still available for about 40 cents less. Not a big enough dip for me to justify pulling the trigger just yet. Although I have been to the coin shop twice in a week for a couple ounces here and there. 3 old libertads, 2 eagles, a couple old brits, all in the 3-4 over spot range for a nick or scratch or milk spot. Slim pickings and anything semi-numismatic way overpriced. They had a roll of buffalos at $2.25 over spot but spot was $14.90 at the time so I passed.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 am

InfleXion wrote:I was going to buy some palladium but it sold out! The silver I'm eyeing is still available for about 40 cents less. Not a big enough dip for me to justify pulling the trigger just yet. Although I have been to the coin shop twice in a week for a couple ounces here and there. 3 old libertads, 2 eagles, a couple old brits, all in the 3-4 over spot range for a nick or scratch or milk spot. Slim pickings and anything semi-numismatic way overpriced. They had a roll of buffalos at $2.25 over spot but spot was $14.90 at the time so I passed.

When bullion dealers raise the premiums, LCS is probably a better bet. Last week I bought 100 AU Morgan dollars (not one 1921) for $17 each.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:57 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:When bullion dealers raise the premiums, LCS is probably a better bet. Last week I bought 100 AU Morgan dollars (not one 1921) for $17 each.

Wow, that's what I call buying on the dip--great pick up!!!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby FatherRosado » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:20 am

Buy the dip here like me!
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:46 am

May I suggest "Buying the Dip" with the current Group Buy over at BullionStacker run by Chris: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic ... 27&t=22235
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:42 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:When bullion dealers raise the premiums, LCS is probably a better bet. Last week I bought 100 AU Morgan dollars (not one 1921) for $17 each.

Dang I would have jumped all over that. My coin shop was charging $27 for AUs and they didn't even look that good. I've been wanting Morgans lately too :idea:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:49 pm

pennypicker wrote:

A lot of these brick and mortar LCS's are getting desperate. If you have a lot of dry powder, go into your local LCS with a pile green rectangles and make them a fair offer... about 50% of the time they'll take you up on your offer.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:51 pm

InfleXion wrote:
pennypicker wrote:

Dang I would have jumped all over that. My coin shop was charging $27 for AUs and they didn't even look that good. I've been wanting Morgans lately too :idea:

Yes, that is an impressive pick up. Nice score :thumbup:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals