Road Trip

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Road Trip

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:44 am

This past week I had a chance to go back to the town that I did my banking at. When I got at the bank I asked for dimes nickels and halves as I always did. The head teller came and told me that I will find silver. In fact as I loaded the $500 bag of halves I could see silver ones in the bag. So today I sorted the bag today and the wife wanted to help so I let her and she had fun. Total count was $61 of 40% but also 2 40% proof a 68 and a 70 that is the first time I ever found a 70-s silver half. Road trip again?
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Road Trip

Postby Thogey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:57 am

Bully!

Did you find out who died and where else the widow might be dropping silver?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:44 pm

Makes me miss my sorting days! Great find :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:18 pm

yes it's to bad that town is 5 hours away or I would go back more often. I was looking for some 90% but didn't find any.
dakota1955

Postby silverstacker » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:00 pm

That's great! Awesome finds. I was on a great roll for a long time and then for about 5 weeks it dried up and then I went through two boxes of halves in the last 2 days and there was at least 1 40 or 90% in each roll. Feels good to get those for free. Specially when the teller says you will like it :D
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:41 pm

Congratulations on your finds. In this time of tightness it makes it a extra sweet.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:06 pm

dakota1955 wrote:yes it's to bad that town is 5 hours away or I would go back more often. I was looking for some 90% but didn't find any.

yeh, but holy samolian! that's just shy of 30 toz of Ag ....AND a 1970 to boot!!

Dakota, lemme ask a serious question.......you cut across 5 hours of prime time spring wheat land I assume......generally how did it look?

Wheat these days is like silver...undervalued, and since I don't trust a commodity exchange that doesn't have a trading pit, I wont trade futures, but it might be time to buy MORE of those sealed buckets of wheat berries....did you know, properly bucketed, wheat berries stay good for 25 years?....and with a quality stainless steel hand mill, you're set to go.

I know we discuss stacking PM's, but I myself personally am thinking what is money?...or what OTHER forms, besides PM's and BM's are money, tradable, crucial and in demand when "currency" fiat turns into the stuff you use for kindling, because you don't want to use good cardboard as kindling for the wood stove, no more.

a bucket of wheat berries, that's what. in July I placed a GOOD sized order for buckets of hard WHITE winter wheat berries.....$15, do you believe that? I got a lots of hard red spring wheat buckets, which make a more "whole" wheat bread, so I wanna have some fun, and make a softer, whiter bread. I love wheat, just writing about it, makes me wonder, could I get buckets of semolina wheat berries, and at what price?

i'm sorry to go off topic, but I sure admire North Dakota, you all are pretty hardy folk, I'm not far...relatively speaking, upper Midwest, right near the Great River..(but no where near the twin cities....God have mercy)

almost 30 toz of Kenn 40's! you know, that's going to be a GREAT trading coin someday......almost a billion pieces, and close to a fifth an ounce? God love you Dakota, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:36 pm

around here the spring winter is one of the best crops ever. down in SD where I got the silver a lot of the winter was tilled up so no crop this year.
dakota1955

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:16 pm

dakota1955 wrote:around here the spring winter is one of the best crops ever. down in SD where I got the silver a lot of the winter was tilled up so no crop this year.

Thank you sir.

just for yucks, in case your interested, here's the August Crop Production report in text, a lot of people think crop reports/forecasts are boring...I could look at this for an hour:

http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/cu ... 2-2015.txt

here's the site "NASS" it comes from :

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/R ... t_2015.asp

btw, I meant durum wheat,not semolina.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals