Shipping Bonus?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Shipping Bonus?

Postby amalekidad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:48 pm

Today I received a priority mail, tracked, and insured box of Ag. The sender used a bunch of old stamps to total $19.69 and paid another 2.81 in postage that was attached as a bar coded sticker.
NONE of the actual stamps have any kind of cancellation. Most can be removed and reused. Some are barely hanging onto the box. Did the post office just give me $19.69?

I was about to say that none of the stamps have any value beyond postage. I looked some up on eBay, it appears that most of them are selling for 2 x face.
What would you do? Use them, sell them, or throw them away?

amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Shipping Bonus?

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm

I have used used stamps that no longer had gum on them (you can buy them on here from time to time) and attempted to
paste them onto the envelopes with a glue stick. Not sure how well that works. I've had a few pieces of mail that never
reached their destination and am now wondering if the stamps fell off?? :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby natsb88 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:23 pm

It is illegal to reuse them for postage. If they have any collector value, try to sell them on eBay as used stamps. Most of what I see in the photo are common stamps I am currently using for postage myself (that I bought at 60%-65% of face value).
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:57 pm

+1 to what Nate said. How would the post office ever know or prove that you are re-using though?? Oh yeah, you just posted it online :lol:

Just kidding with you though. If they are selling on eBay, that is the way I would go. Nothing illegal about selling used stamps to collectors. Cancelled or not.

edit to add: Don't mess with the post office!!! They used to brave bad weather, you know!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Man it would be tough to live life legally. :lol: I have several packages that showed up covered in stamps and they are kept cause they look a whole whack cooler than the bar code.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals