40% Kennedy halves question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

40% Kennedy halves question

Postby Rastatodd » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:10 am

There was a thread on here that had to do with the viability of stacking 40% Kennedy halves. Can anybody here recall that thread and provide me a link so I may expand my knowledge of this form of stacking. Are there other people like myself stacking these coins. Just wondering. Any help on the link would be appreciated. Ray can you help a fellow stacker out and set him on the right path.
Todd
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 40% Kennedy halves question

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:40 am

I've culled many that were accidentally mixed with 90% JFK bags.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:12 am

Rastatodd wrote:There was a thread on here that had to do with the viability of stacking 40% Kennedy halves. Can anybody here recall that thread and provide me a link so I may expand my knowledge of this form of stacking. Are there other people like myself stacking these coins. Just wondering. Any help on the link would be appreciated. Ray can you help a fellow stacker out and set him on the right path.
Todd

Stacking 40% reduces volatility. When there are big up/down moves, 90% can swing dramatically, 40% not so much. One advantage of stacking 40% vs 90% is ability to buy with a much lower
(though generally steady) premium. While the premium on 90% shot up to as much as over 30% during the last scare, 40% could still be had at melt, or less. When you go to sell, the premium
will likely be near melt, still, regardless of where the premium at that time might be for 90%.

Keep in mind, 40% can be found roll searching, thus there are very few buyers for it. They take up storage space. They are the redheaded bastird stepchildren of stacking. Nobody wants them.
They can be butt ugly, toned midnight black, corroded coppery green, dull/lackluster, etc. Yep, still silver... but. :? :roll: Granted, they can be gem choice... and those gleam just as purdy as 90%.
But as luck will have it, those indies are likely to be cherry-picked prior to your buying random lots. You might get lucky, but don't count on it.

In taking a small position in them myself I am playing upon the possibility that in a HUGE repricing of spot, at that time, 90% would pretty much disappear and 40% come into its own as a trading vehicle
for silver coinage. That's likely five to ten years away, although even the 40% was sold out at APMEX and Provident during the recent retail "shortage."

Finally, it makes a big difference if you're considering stacking them... how you're acquiring them. If you're a roll hunter, go for it, you have nothing to lose. If you're paying for them, make
sure to pick them up at a price (margin premium) that you could recoup your "investment." The online dealers are only offering 94 to 95% of melt for them.

This link shows wholesale pricing [url]coininfo.com[/url]
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 am

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:33 am

In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby marine70 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:08 am

I like the 40% when silver got up I sold over 700 of them for $6 a piece. Most of them were bought around $2 a piece. My local coin dealer has a thousand dollar bag that he wont part with. However if they come in I can usually buy for just over two dollars. I will continue to stack the 40%. I guess it is a personal preference.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverstacker » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:56 am

beauanderos wrote:
Rastatodd wrote:There was a thread on here that had to do with the viability of stacking 40% Kennedy halves. Can anybody here recall that thread and provide me a link so I may expand my knowledge of this form of stacking. Are there other people like myself stacking these coins. Just wondering. Any help on the link would be appreciated. Ray can you help a fellow stacker out and set him on the right path.
Todd

Stacking 40% reduces volatility. When there are big up/down moves, 90% can swing dramatically, 40% not so much. One advantage of stacking 40% vs 90% is ability to buy with a much lower
(though generally steady) premium. While the premium on 90% shot up to as much as over 30% during the last scare, 40% could still be had at melt, or less. When you go to sell, the premium
will likely be near melt, still, regardless of where the premium at that time might be for 90%.

Keep in mind, 40% can be found roll searching, thus there are very few buyers for it. They take up storage space. They are the redheaded bastird stepchildren of stacking. Nobody wants them.
They can be butt ugly, toned midnight black, corroded coppery green, dull/lackluster, etc. Yep, still silver... but. :? :roll: Granted, they can be gem choice... and those gleam just as purdy as 90%.
But as luck will have it, those indies are likely to be cherry-picked prior to your buying random lots. You might get lucky, but don't count on it.

In taking a small position in them myself I am playing upon the possibility that in a HUGE repricing of spot, at that time, 90% would pretty much disappear and 40% come into its own as a trading vehicle
for silver coinage. That's likely five to ten years away, although even the 40% was sold out at APMEX and Provident during the recent retail "shortage."

Finally, it makes a big difference if you're considering stacking them... how you're acquiring them. If you're a roll hunter, go for it, you have nothing to lose. If you're paying for them, make
sure to pick them up at a price (margin premium) that you could recoup your "investment." The online dealers are only offering 94 to 95% of melt for them.

This link shows wholesale pricing [url]coininfo.com[/url]

Completely agree and in terms of roll searching the 90% and the occasional barbers come with it which makes the hobby of searching that much more fun as the lustering white gleams under the light :thumbup:

Nothing like finding them as it's a gift that costs nothing but time. I search as a way to unwind from the day which brings me fun as I stack and buy more tubs :thumbup:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals