2016 ASE change and 90% change

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

2016 ASE change and 90% change

Postby daviscfad » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:25 pm

So in 2016, the mint will be able to make silver coins with a content not to drop below 90% silver.. Also the new ASE will drop the receded edge and go for an inscription

http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/ ... .all.html#
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 2016 ASE change and 90% change

Postby cecropia_moth » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:58 am

The way I read this is that the 2016 proof ASE and 2016 burnished unc (the collector version) will be the coins with the smooth edge and featuring some language designating the 30th anniversary. The bullion coins will still have the reeded edges. Got to believe there will be some type of packaged set for the 30th, similar to those produced in 2006, 2011, 2012 and 2013.

I also believe this officially paves the way for a palladium bullion coin in 2016.

Jeff
cecropia_moth
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:37 am

That's a bit weird in the way it's worded, so I suspect there must be some thought that there is another 90+ silver composition that is either cheaper or easier to obtain as a feedstock. Maybe sterling. Or maybe the .999 bullion silver is easier to get than a special alloy that isn't used for anything else (they can price in the difference into the product without even seeing it). Or maybe they are contemplating some less pure bullion derivative alloy (.99, etc) that takes advantage of scrap. It's a shame really. The 90/10 has such a long history and changing it now mucks up the standard.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:38 pm

They're smart to do something different with ASE's. The newer Canadian Maple Leaf design makes ASE's look bad.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:They're smart to do something different with ASE's. The newer Canadian Maple Leaf design makes ASE's look bad.

Australia has taken a page from the Royal Canadian Mint and is now adding security features to its inaugural 2016 Kangaroo bullion silver dollar such as a micro engraved "A" in the lower left leg of the A in Australia. So small in fact that you can only see it with a magnifying glass:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals