What's a good amount to spend of silver per week?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What's a good amount to spend of silver per week?

Postby John1934 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Hey all,

I've been CRH for a while and have accumulated around $6 face in 90% silver, and with silver so low I've decide to start buying some. I was thinking of buying one ASE per week and then $3-4 face in junk. I call my local dealer and he's sells ASE's at $15 each and 90% at 13 times face. Am I spending too much? Am I spending too little? Am I paying too much?
John1934

Re: What's a good amount to spend of silver per week?

Postby Thogey » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:26 pm

That's a darn good price for Silver Eagles. Are they scratchy or impaired in any way?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby John1934 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Thogey wrote:That's a darn good price for Silver Eagles. Are they scratchy or impaired in any way?

Nope, just plain BU in an airtight.
John1934

Postby pennypicker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:59 pm

John1934 wrote: I call my local dealer and he's sells ASE's at $15 each and 90% at 13 times face. Am I spending too much? Am I spending too little? Am I paying too much?

Last week at my local coin shop they were asking $20 for ASE's and 16X face for 90%. Plus there's 9% sales tax on top of that unless you spend over $1500.

$15 for BU ASE's in airtights?.....Back up the truck :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:08 pm

$15 fro BU ASE's? Yes, back up the truck 12X face for 90% isn't bad either.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:56 pm

You may consider hoarding as much cash possible to buy on large dips.

Also, buying large is better because you'll gain more leverage. When my LCS guy sees a wad of $100 bills in my hand, he's much more motivated to make a deal with me. Never be shy to offer a lower price than they're asking. The old adage holds true... "cash talks, BS walks".

Anything over 12x face for 90% is too much IMO.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:23 pm

How much is enough each week? Depends upon the amount of paper dollars you're attempting to preserve the purchasing power of.
I would say that you have the right idea to figure an amount that you can put into the market every week and then stick with it.
Never put so much in that you might have to sell at lower prices due to an emergency... as they say in the stock market, only play
with money you can afford to lose. That amount will differ for every person... but if I were to suggest that someone who had never
stacked before should begin, I would recommend $50 a month (if that's affordable) as a good starting point. Might be best, though, to make one monthly
purchase at that level, rather than eating up your spending power with shipping charges.

Any silver you stack is better than having none at all. You're off to a good start with your roll hunting. :thumbup:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Rosco » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:15 am

What is implied is to also have some cash for emergency, Some Water an Food for power out or what ever. Also a Weapon and Ammunition for protection. Be balanced an go slow, It is difficult to cover all needs at the same time. Each small step you take puts you ahead of the many who do nothing.

Good luck on your journey
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby silverstacker » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:36 am

pennypicker wrote:
John1934 wrote: I call my local dealer and he's sells ASE's at $15 each and 90% at 13 times face. Am I spending too much? Am I spending too little? Am I paying too much?

Last week at my local coin shop they were asking $20 for ASE's and 16X face for 90%. Plus there's 9% sales tax on top of that unless you spend over $1500.

$15 for BU ASE's in airtights?.....Back up the truck :thumbup:

Ouch! That's steep pricing but that's THE LCS"s. Making my way this week for the end of the year clearance sales before inventory goes to clearance buyers. Hopefully there are some deals.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:18 am

PMs are wealth storage. The markets are artificially crazy so normal rules are fuzzy but listen to rosco and take care of long term survival needs first, then start storing at least half your excess wealth savings in PMs.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pitw » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 pm

Just remember you can't take it with you when you die. Enjoy life but have a little for emergency's. PM,s make a great way of saving for something you may need one day.
pitw
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:27 pm

I just checked with a dealer I've known for years this morning and he was selling ASE's at $18.40 each. I'd want to authenticate ASE's priced at $15, because that price sounds too good to be true to me which would have me concerned that they could be fakes. Anyone else think that price is too low? Junk silver at 13x face is in the ballpark of what I'd expect to pay in this market.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby InfleXion » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:03 am

My favorite answer to this question is to only spend as much as you can afford to lose. If you don't get to choose your exit point you lose any control over potential profitability.

While I like to say that my strategy is dollar cost averaging for a specific amount, what it really amounts to is that I just like to buy the shiny. I don't care what the price is. If I feel like I'm missing out on a good deal or I just don't think I don't have enough metal, a hunting I will go. Of course I buy more when it's cheaper because I try to follow a budget.

I don't really think of it as a per week basis, or even per month. I just stay on top of my ledger and if I feel like I have a comfort zone I'll allow myself to go by the coin shop or browse online and maybe or maybe not get something. If I don't have that comfort zone then I put myself on restriction.

Generally though, and I don't follow this advice because what I actually do I've said above, or maybe I do follow this advice and I just don't know what my exact habits are, but I feel like 5% of every paycheck is a good way to go if you are able to also save income. I might be closer to 10% the last few months because the price has been nice. I tend to allocate more into metals than most people recommend, but that's because I don't see any better investment.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slvrbck » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Eagles at 15$ in an airtight??? Where are you located? And do you know their inventory? I'm in for a few monster boxes.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:02 pm

John1934 wrote:
Thogey wrote:That's a darn good price for Silver Eagles. Are they scratchy or impaired in any way?

Nope, just plain BU in an airtight.

What's the dealers name and what town & state are you in? I'm thinking roadtrip! Back up the truck! Keep stacking!
:lol:
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby operadad » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:02 pm

my lcs charges spot plus at least $2 for government coinage -- maples - ase -- etc
they are currently selling 90% at 12 times...

at the prices you quoted - i would grab all i could afford of the ase -- and leave the 90.... i m o
operadad

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals