Gold rally... real or another head fake?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold rally... real or another head fake?

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:30 am

Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold rally... real or another head fake?

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:59 am

We're going to see a lot of intraday movement both up and down going forward for quite awhile. I tend to believe we're on an upward path for an extended time and if so swings of $50 or more will not be cause for concern during that time. Today it is "due" to the emotion over oil prices dropping again. As more and more bad news comes in that can't be papered over we'll see it go up and tend to stay up. But we all know that the tptb will always push the fictional story that all is well except when something happens that they can't ignore - in which case that tactic will be to redirect focus or blame elsewhere.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:09 pm

The GSR is at 80. When was it higher?
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:15 pm

gold really wants to break loose, but they keep capping it. Three steps forward, two steps back. In the end, it's still progress
of one step forward... but without the sizzling excitement it would have generated had the launches not been constantly thwarted. :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:17 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:The GSR is at 80. When was it higher?

MaxGravy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:34 pm

Hit $1254 this morning, then as I expected, TPTB killed it.

$1222 as I write this.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:12 pm

I don't really expect a full on rally in metal until fiat currency is ready to exit stage left.

The USD will probably continue to be the beneficary of increased demand as the rest of the fiat currencies, which don't have the benefit of being the global reserve currency (which allows the US to export inflation/deflation via the petrodollar, for now), cause people to rush into USD as the safe haven while their own currencies continue to struggle, particularly the Euro (which could never work because different nations require different monetary policies to succeed [Greece vs. Germany for example] yet they are all in the same boat) as well as the Japanese Yen which starting racing to the bottom decades before we did.

Not to mention China is buying up foreign businesses like crazy which leads me to suspect that they are soon anticipating the day where the Yuan will not have the same buying power.

So I suspect any gold rally will probably be offset to some degree by a strengthening dollar, which means we should continue to be able to buy it on the cheap (which it still is) until such time as the USD is no longer seen as an attractive currency, and that will be the last domino IMO.

Remember, in foreign currencies both gold and silver have performed quite well over the past year. We may get the discount for a while longer still.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 pm

InfleXion wrote:
So I suspect any gold rally will probably be offset to some degree by a strengthening dollar, which means we should continue to be able to buy it on the cheap (which it still is) until such time as the USD is no longer seen as an attractive currency, and that will be the last domino IMO.

Remember, in foreign currencies both gold and silver have performed quite well over the past year. We may get the discount for a while longer still.

I agree with your assessment. As long as the dollar is the sole reserve currency we can get PM at a discount. But there will be a process where the dollar becomes part of a basket of reserve currencies and eventually be dropped or decreased from the basket as the debt of US increases. How long the process will take is anyone's guess.
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.
tdtwedt
Penny Collector Member

Postby JadeDragon » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:52 pm

Gold is way up in Canadian dollars, makes me want to hold more of it.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals