bought a silver ring received Stainless Steel

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

bought a silver ring received Stainless Steel

Postby FatherRosado » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Real Cent members,
Thank you for all that I have learned from you. A christian company accidentally advertised a ring as being silver when it was really stainless steel. When I received the ring I immediately doubted it was silver. I took the ring to my local jeweler and I was right. It was stainless steel! I called the company and received an $18.02 discount. The difference between the silver and stainless steel ring. I decided to keep the ring since it was custom made and I wanted to be charitable to them.

Padre Rosado
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: bought a silver ring received Stainless Steel

Postby Thogey » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:28 pm

The company should be reported to the authorities.
This is fraud.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:32 pm

Not very christian of them.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Leviticus 19:11
“You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another.
hobo finds

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:14 pm

You could have saved yourself a trip to the jeweler and just used a magnet to know it was not silver. That is the first thing I do with any object that I suspect. Buy yourself a nice rare earth magnet. It is easy to store and access. Just stick it on your fridge.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:15 pm

blackrabbit wrote:You could have saved yourself a trip to the jeweler and just used a magnet to know it was not silver. That is the first thing I do with any object that I suspect. Buy yourself a nice rare earth magnet. It is easy to store and access. Just stick it on your fridge.

Stainless steel is not magnetic. Well, low-grade stainless is noticeably magnetic, but good stainless won't stick.
natsb88

Postby blackrabbit » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:19 pm

I did not know that. I guess I have only had the low grade when I was playing with magnets.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 am

blackrabbit wrote:I did not know that. I guess I have only had the low grade when I was playing with magnets.

Yeah so much stuff made in China these days that is "stainless" but super low grade. Real stainless like a made in USA plumbing part or something has enough nickel in it that is it non-magnetic.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:46 am

This is going somewhat off-topic but there are several types of valid "stainless" that include both magnetic and non-magnetic. (And BTW stainless isn't rust-free - it just rusts at a slower rate than most other metallic (especially iron) based alloys. (Actually there are different rust rates, because each type rusts at a different rate depending on the alloy and environment.) So stainless is just like the female of the species - it's complicated.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby pennypicker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 pm

68Camaro wrote: (And BTW stainless isn't rust-free - it just rusts at a slower rate than most other metallic (especially iron) based alloys. (Actually there are different rust rates, because each type rusts at a different rate depending on the alloy and environment.).

Very true. I'm a weekend vintage car parts picker and many times I come across 1970's GM stainless steel windshield wiper arms with rust spots. Sometimes I can remove the spots with coarse steel wool and sometimes no matter how hard I scrub I can't remove them. :x
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:16 pm

With a very strong magnet even the best Stainless Steel will have a slight pull
hobo finds

Postby xippi » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:49 pm

Thogey wrote:The company should be reported to the authorities.
This is fraud.

Wonder how many people still think they have a silver ring??? :shifty: :? :oops: :roll:
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Wonder if it's marked Sterling
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverstacker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:28 pm

That is gut wrenching when those incidents happen.
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby FatherRosado » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm

blackrabbit wrote:You could have saved yourself a trip to the jeweler and just used a magnet to know it was not silver. That is the first thing I do with any object that I suspect. Buy yourself a nice rare earth magnet. It is easy to store and access. Just stick it on your fridge.
Someone from here taught me that in person when I was in Goshen, NY. That is exactly what I did but I wanted to double check.

FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby FatherRosado » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:55 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Wonder if it's marked Sterling

It was not marked sterling. I checked with a magnifying glass. That was my second suspicion. The first suspicion was that it looked exactly like the stainless steel ring I bought for my nephew.

FatherRosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals