Silver: At what price would you sell your silver stack?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Poll ended at Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:30 am

I'd sell most of not all my silver when the price hits $25
3%
I'd sell most of not all my silver when the price hits $30
6%
I'd sell most of not all my silver when the price hits $40
12%
I'd sell most of not all my silver when the price hits $50
12%
Silver would have to be at least $60 before I'd sell
6%
Silver would have to be at least $75 before I'd sell
No votes
Silver would have to be at least $100 before I'd sell
24%
I would never sell all my silver, no matter what the price might be!
38%

Total votes : 34

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:30 am

Do you have a price in mind when you would sell your silver stack????
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silver: At what price would you sell your silver stack?

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:44 am

I can't vote because I sell based on circumstance. Basically it is a bank. It's a 2nd savings account. I try not to set a strike price.
It's a big chunk of savings. I crack off a chunk if we need it.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:15 pm

Similarly to Thogey, PMs are money. So unless you are a "flipper" the question - more correctly posed - becomes at what price (of goods) would you spend your money?

And that really becomes what can I buy with my money. Which depends not on the price in $ of PM, but the price in (say) groceries or gasoline or electricity in terms of PM, and ties into to how badly I need that item.

In terms of FRNs, if you had $100,000 when would you spend it? You would spend it based on some combination of need, perceived value of the goods, and expected trends in future pricing.

If I needed more FRNs now because I needed to buy something that I couldn't otherwise afford, I would sell now. If I don't need something I wouldn't sell (which is the same as spending my PMs).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:42 pm

If the price of silver continues to rise more quickly than the price of gold and the GSR shrinks significantly then I can see myself selling some silver at $60+ to buy some gold. But that is really just a rebalancing of my PM holdings rather than selling.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:08 pm

This is a very tough question to answer because the answers are often based on your financial situation as of this moment and how quickly the price moves. If silver rocketed to $100/oz. in the next six months, that would likely bring more sellers than if it went to $100 over the next five years with several 20-30% pullbacks along the way. For instance, if silver went to $40 and then pulled back to $30 before turning around and steadily going up and breaking through $40 to get to the low $50's, that would be a more orderly move that might cause people to hold on to their physical.

Nonetheless, the 3 D's (death, divorce and desperation) can change this in a heartbeat for many people. All three of these are what bring people into coin shops saying "I need the money. Just tell me what you'd pay for the whole lot." And the dealer calmly says "9 times face is very fair" as he stares at several 1932-D and 1932-S quarters.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:14 pm

http://www.silvercoinstoday.com/silver-calculators/us-silver-coin-calculator/

I might start to trickle a few off when an individual coin sells for a significant amount. 8-) Maybe at $500 an ounce. :shh:

I think the presumption behind the question is that one will be able to sell, capture a gain, and then buy back in at lower prices thus gaining
ounces. This is likely to be a dangerous mindset, as it is my belief that once the silver rocket launches it will embark on a parabolic climb. You
won't be able to replace what you sell, and will likely be unable to source alternatives. Once silver and gold go stratospheric... it is only a small
step until both metals go no bid.

It will be fun to watch... if you're prepared.

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby silverflake » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:46 pm

As mentioned in one form or another here, the price is tricky. First off don't know if I would ever sell the WHOLE stack (not that it's all that large) but I would only let go of some if I could cash it in to buy some land (or trade it for land). Of course if desperate I would use it to buy true needs. But still, don't forget, the price is being measured in dollars. Be aware that some of that price appreciation in dollars is due also to the decreasing value of FRNs.

Didn't some one on this site once write that in colonial America, an acre of farmland cost, on average, 1 ounce of silver? If measured in land, maybe I will sell when one ounce = one acre.

Continue to stack.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coppernickel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 pm

Continue to stack.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:29 am

Copper Catcher wrote:Do you have a price in mind when you would sell your silver stack????

not in terms for paper fiat....i'm thinking 4 Angus feeders for 3, maybe 4 toz of .9999's, or maybe a 10 face roll of 90's....or 7 toz , 10 tops, for 40 acres of hardwood.....or 6 90% Kenns for a 100 foot roll of 4 foot woven wire......(and NO 1099's shall be involved, i'll walk away, I don't want to even SEE a "1099")

that's how I think of "sell Ag" in terms of price.....THAT SAID, in the "early days" of a dollar crisis, when people are still married to the concept that paper is "money", the only thing that will get a toz of .999 off me is $500....minimum.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:44 am

silverflake wrote:As mentioned in one form or another here, the price is tricky. First off don't know if I would ever sell the WHOLE stack (not that it's all that large) but I would only let go of some if I could cash it in to buy some land (or trade it for land). Of course if desperate I would use it to buy true needs. But still, don't forget, the price is being measured in dollars. Be aware that some of that price appreciation in dollars is due also to the decreasing value of FRNs.

Didn't some one on this site once write that in colonial America, an acre of farmland cost, on average, 1 ounce of silver? If measured in land, maybe I will sell when one ounce = one acre.

Continue to stack.

Nice post S-Flake...as you see above, we're thinking similar....that's neat about colonial days, as you see what I wrote, I was thinking 10 .9999's for 40 acres of HARDwood acreage....and that's just my market supposition. i'm of the mind, looking at that theoretical 40 wooded acres , of what gets downed, and then milled into building lumber, which is then sold for Ag, or livestock, pig, poultry, beef.....horizontal integration, where every toz of Ag traded is traded for PRODUCTION, to trade for MORE Ag...OR items needed to eat and shelter, heating, etc.

Now that fella with the 40 acres might counter, "i need 20 toz for that acreage".....so one could counter again with, "i said 10, you say 20, so why don't we meet in the middle at 15 toz?".....and while we're just theorizing, that's when the rubber meets the road, and the "market" will find its value...you don't know until you know......great post bro, n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:This is a very tough question to answer because the answers are often based on your financial situation as of this moment and how quickly the price moves. If silver rocketed to $100/oz. in the next six months, that would likely bring more sellers than if it went to $100 over the next five years with several 20-30% pullbacks along the way. For instance, if silver went to $40 and then pulled back to $30 before turning around and steadily going up and breaking through $40 to get to the low $50's, that would be a more orderly move that might cause people to hold on to their physical.

Nonetheless, the 3 D's (death, divorce and desperation) can change this in a heartbeat for many people. All three of these are what bring people into coin shops saying "I need the money. Just tell me what you'd pay for the whole lot." And the dealer calmly says "9 times face is very fair" as he stares at several 1932-D and 1932-S quarters.

that's a great post Steve!...clear-eyed. (though on a personal, I do feel bad for folks undergoing the "3 D's"....I always grieve for any of God's children in dire positions, like that)

you know, lets just say, we got $100 a toz Ag...that means the dollar is in deep doo-doo, possibly on the edge of going parabolic, so whatever excess paper fiat I had, it would be NO problem for me to shovel that PAPER for even more Ag as wisdom dictates.

if you want to see what the prologue for what could happen in our beloved US, watch what is happening NOW to those folks down in Venezuela...its REAL sobering......and they sit on a 70 billion barrel lake of crude oil!, even though its the tough to refine kind. But never think, God forbid, that such couldn't happen here....and with these terrible cracks and fractures in the national polity, and any sense of "unity"....here?.......oh my brother, I am VERY VERY concerned.....here's an 8 minute report from Sky News from May on the situation there, sorry to post up such depressing material but we have to clear-eyed, calm, and centered, our grandparents weathered the Depression, and I pray WE are made of strong stock as well. be well Steve, n.

neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:28 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Copper Catcher wrote:Do you have a price in mind when you would sell your silver stack????

not in terms for paper fiat....i'm thinking 4 Angus feeders for 3, maybe 4 toz of .9999's, or maybe a 10 face roll of 90's....or 7 toz , 10 tops, for 40 acres of hardwood.....or 6 90% Kenns for a 100 foot roll of 4 foot woven wire......(and NO 1099's shall be involved, i'll walk away, I don't want to even SEE a "1099")

that's how I think of "sell Ag" in terms of price.....THAT SAID, in the "early days" of a dollar crisis, when people are still married to the concept that paper is "money", the only thing that will get a toz of .999 off me is $500....minimum.

Do you honestly expect this to happen? I do expect local lands I could set up orchards on to come down as silver rises, but wooded land or production cattle? I guess maybe if the market drops and people arent eating meat near as much? Otherwise Id fully expect the value to loosely track the value of the cattle in dollars. Meaning youd likely need roughly the same numbers of ounces to buy such items as you do today. I could also easily see the value of the cattle and other production assets to rise not drop in relation to their value in silver as more people with a few acres decide, hey why not run a few cattle or goats on that piece we pay taxes on in response to a poor economy. Although I think Im getting de ja vu here. Think I said similar to you before. Obviously Id love if you are right, I just doubt it.

There is no set dollar amount Id sell at. Mainly Id sell if I had non other options, or Id sell a portion if i spiked sharply and I thought I could buy the land I need for orchards. (20 plus acres)

ultimately though? Part of my horde will never be sold unless I have no other choice at all on earth. My kids will have to follow the treasure map and find it after I died in a pirate chest buried. Working on getting a few ounces of gold per family member buried in the pirate chest as well.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals