Royal Canadian Mint theft

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Royal Canadian Mint theft

Postby Saabman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:57 am

An employee of the Royal Canadian Mint allegedly smuggled about $180,000 in gold from the fortress-like facility, possibly evading multiple levels of detection with a time-honoured prison trick.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-new ... udge-hears
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Re: Royal Canadian Mint theft

Postby hobo finds » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 am

"Investigators also found a container of vaseline in his locker and the trial was presented with the prospect that a puck could be concealed in an anal cavity and not be detected by the wand. In preparation for these proceedings, in fact, a security employee actually tested the idea, Barnes said." :shock:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Doctor Steuss » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:11 pm

hobo finds wrote:"Investigators also found a container of vaseline in his locker and the trial was presented with the prospect that a puck could be concealed in an anal cavity and not be detected by the wand. In preparation for these proceedings, in fact, a security employee actually tested the idea, Barnes said." :shock:

Someone deserves a raise.

Or early retirement.

Or workman's comp.

Or..
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:21 am

What the puck was he doing? :)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:28 am

Invariably he's going to remain the butt of everyone's jokes...
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:52 am

I worked for some Naval officers who could have taken out millions that way.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Wasn't Ray bragging about hiding kilo bars?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby NiBullionCu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:30 pm

I can't believe no-one has yet commented on the appropriateness of the judge, to whit:

"Justice Peter Doody reserved decision until Nov. 9 on a number of smuggling-for-cash charges, including theft, laundering the proceeds of crime, possession of stolen property and breach of trust."

Say what you will but I hear Justice Peter Doody knows his Shhite! :lol:
NiBullionCu
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:00 pm

If these "inserted" pucks were to be graded what would they come back as?
hobo finds

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:15 pm

hobo finds wrote:If these "inserted" pucks were to be graded what would they come back as?

Not sure on the number, but I'm guessing RB for coloration.
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:37 pm

Hey, it'll all come out in the end.

Keep stacking. Lubricate if you have to, but stack.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:04 pm

NiBullionCu wrote:I can't believe no-one has yet commented on the appropriateness of the judge, to whit:

"Justice Peter Doody reserved decision until Nov. 9 on a number of smuggling-for-cash charges, including theft, laundering the proceeds of crime, possession of stolen property and breach of trust."

Say what you will but I hear Justice Peter Doody knows his Shhite! :lol:

If anyone can get to the bottom of this, it'll be him. Few Justices would have the intestinal fortitude, or fiber, to see something like this through to the end.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:06 pm

Something about this whole think stinks!
hobo finds

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:15 pm

hobo finds wrote:If these "inserted" pucks were to be graded what would they come back as?

PCGS Genuine
Quest. Color - Unc. Details
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 am

Wouldn't it be interesting if somehow the gold pucks that were smuggled out turned out to be fakes.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:00 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if somehow the gold pucks that were smuggled out turned out to be fakes.

Tungsten turds.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:39 am

Thank God for Kentucky Jelly.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Doctor Steuss » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:03 pm

This article/case is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

I wonder if they have seized any assets. Also, if they were liquid.
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Shazbot57 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:37 pm

hobo finds wrote:"Investigators also found a container of vaseline in his locker and the trial was presented with the prospect that a puck could be concealed in an anal cavity and not be detected by the wand. In preparation for these proceedings, in fact, a security employee actually tested the idea, Barnes said." :shock:

Pucks? - For those of you who are also hockey fans, this adds a whole new meaning to "putting the biscuit in the basket"!
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby silverstacker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

fansubs_ca wrote:Invariably he's going to remain the butt of everyone's jokes...

:lol:
“The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long after the Sweetness of Low Price is forgotten”
silverstacker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals