Today's Dump

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Today's Dump

Postby blackrabbit » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Anybody have any info on why metals took a big dump today? I am very tempted to buy some below 18 dollar silver.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Today's Dump

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Brexit aftermath worries and thoughts of a rate hike all made the USD much "stronger" today.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gold-h ... 2016-10-04
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Doctor Steuss » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:51 pm

A renewable energy ETF I own a smidgeon of tanked pretty hard today too (it's heavily focused on Chinese companies). I wonder that's at all related?
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Strange how there is little news of 40 million Russians having bomb shelter drills today .
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:00 pm

I added another 100 maples at $17.80 today. :thumbup:

You buy when it goes down, not up.

These smack downs are a GIFT!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I added another 100 maples at $17.80 today. :thumbup:

Not when your like me and you buy right BEFORE the smack down!! I had a few oz of gold delivered to me today and I had to sit in line in the post office to pick up my package looking at my phone to see that my package was worth $40/oz less today than it was yesterday.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:45 am

chris6084 wrote:

Not when your like me and you buy right BEFORE the smack down!! I had a few oz of gold delivered to me today and I had to sit in line in the post office to pick up my package looking at my phone to see that my package was worth $40/oz less today than it was yesterday.

This is the main reason I only buy on large dips.

If you're in for the long term, then you have nothing to worry about.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:01 am

Contrarian opportunity. Nicely timed buy chris!
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am

Took your advice and with spot at $17.12 this morning I picked up three 10 oz silver Sunshine bars from JM Bullion on Ebay with a low .79 per oz premium, Nice to see these bars back under $180 again--Thanks JM!
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:58 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:Strange how there is little news of 40 million Russians having bomb shelter drills today .

Only 40 million? The others are being sacrificed?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby hobo finds » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:29 pm

68Camaro wrote:
IdahoCopper wrote:Strange how there is little news of 40 million Russians having bomb shelter drills today .

Only 40 million? The others are being sacrificed?

How could we do that! Need a place for pets, a transgender bathroom, people on a Kosher or Vegan diet and so, so much more,,, :lol:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JobIII » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:52 pm

I don't try to time the market anymore. I just buy when my coin guy has silver :D (bought at 16.55). So it's probably going to drop into the low teens because of this purchase.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:46 am

Followed up by today's dump. Another contrarian buy all the way down.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:35 am

not surprised that it could go below $16 today.
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:20 am

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-2 ... dgies-flee

It sounds like the price is down on speculation of the Fed raising rates next month. Of course it would probably only be a 0.25% raise that they will offset by buying up anything that doesn't sell so it's not like it means much to actual markets other than whoever buys our digital debt will have less of it on their books as a supposed asset for the sake of purporting solvency.

It seems like a pretty good time to reduce my exposure to the banking system and start picking up some more coins. I wouldn't be surprised if support broke down here either so metals look bad year over year as is often the case. If it does we might even see $10-11 again, or maybe even worse. We've seen how premiums can work with physical metal so I'll be trying to time multiple smaller purchases around the bottom if possible to stay ahead of the rush and hunt for deals which is the fun part.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 am

Lots of complaining in this thread. Are you all guys short term traders?

I HOPE Ag goes lower... all the way to $12-13 again... more for me at discount prices. At 16.50, it already is at a discount.

Be happy when the price drops... buy as much as you can.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals