found Gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

found Gold

Postby fasteddy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:15 am

While dumping some halves the bags became full and needed to be changed. Before the teller was able to close the Cummins counter I snagged the debris cup and dumped it on the counter...among the bent US coin, CA coin and a Buc-ee's token was someone's gold molar crown!

In the gold scrap bag it goes....what purity are those crowns?
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Re: found Gold

Postby Doctor Steuss » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:48 am

Wow, very cool!

FWIW, I asked my wife (she used to work in dental), and she said there isn't really a standard purity -- it varies.

One dental scrap company she used to send stuff to would supposedly weigh/verify each piece of gold, and pay based on that. The other companies would just pay out as 12K (which I guess might be where the various purities quasi average out... maybe).
"Deferential, glad to be of use, Politic, cautious, and meticulous; Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse; At times, indeed, almost ridiculous— Almost, at times, the Fool." ~Eliot
Doctor Steuss
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:22 am

If it looks like the color of a nugget it could be over 70% Au.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Sweet snag!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Tourney64 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:18 pm

It will have to be pretty low purity, you wouldn't want it changing shape. Our Realcent Dentist Dr. Rodebaugh my have a range of the purity.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Tourney64 wrote:It will have to be pretty low purity, you wouldn't want it changing shape. Our Realcent Dentist Dr. Rodebaugh my have a range of the purity.

3-22% :lol:

Most fall in the 10-12%. I use an alloy close to 60% palladium 10% platinum, gold, silver. copper. Darn strong with a good wear coefficient close to enamel. 8-)

Market Harmony supplies some of it. :D :D :D :D :D :D
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:22 pm

Mail you a circ morgan for it eddy. :thumbup:
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby baggerman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 pm

The crown I recently picked up for a couple bucks at a yard sale tested at 22K with an acid test and weighs 2.3 grams. :clap: The lady selling it said she could not imagine whay anybody would want someone elses crown. :shock:
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:42 pm

Gross, but cool
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals