Best buy at a yard sale

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best buy at a yard sale

Postby texcollex » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Made one of my best coin finds ever today. Picked up an American Buffalo Commemorative off a table and asked how much they wanted. The lady said "25 cents, it's just a proof so it's not worth anything." I gladly paid her full asking price. It has the packaging in great shape, only missing the COA.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Best buy at a yard sale

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:34 pm

You bought it less than face value! Nice find!
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:00 pm

Was this a silver coin?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby texcollex » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:57 am

Recyclersteve wrote:Was this a silver coin?

Yes, as best as I can find, they only made then in 0.90 silver. Here is an Amazon listing for one like I bought.:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Buffalo ... B002M3VLLA
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Thogey » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:27 am

texcollex wrote:Made one of my best coin finds ever today. Picked up an American Buffalo Commemorative off a table and asked how much they wanted. The lady said "25 cents, it's just a proof so it's not worth anything." I gladly paid her full asking price. It has the packaging in great shape, only missing the COA.

Did you give your condolences and ask what bank she brought the rest of his coin collection too?
You should also check the reject tray at the nearest coin star.
Also, you should be able to make $50 if you offer to haul his guns and ammo away.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:38 am

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-relea ... ative-coin

If you are unsure whether the product you have purchased from a private mint is an authentic U.S. Mint American Buffalo Commemorative Silver Dollar, you should note that the authentic coin features the year (2001) and artist’s initial (“F” for “Fraser”) on the obverse and the denomination (One Dollar) and mintmark (“P” for “Philadelphia”) on the reverse. An image of the authentic American Buffalo Commemorative Silver Dollar can be found at the United States Mint’s website
hobo finds

Postby texcollex » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 am

Hobo,
It appears to be the genuine article based on your description of those characteristics and comparison to images on various websites.

Thogey,
yeah I was wishing they had a stack of them. The husband was actually over pricing his worn-out tools so I didn't ask about guns or such.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby hobo finds » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:21 pm

Even a fake would be worth 25 cents! :clap:
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:22 am

A four ounce silver coin for 25 cents? Outstanding!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby texcollex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:15 am

Recyclersteve wrote:A four ounce silver coin for 25 cents? Outstanding!

Mint: Philadelphia
Mintage: 272,869
Obverse Designer: James Earle Fraser
Reverse Designer: James Earle Fraser
Composition: Silver
Fineness: 0.9000
Weight: 26.7300g
ASW: 0.7734oz
Melt Value: $12.47 (7/4/2017)
Diameter: 38.1mm
Edge: Reeded
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Robarons » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:40 pm

To be honest I have never heard of the coin myself so its understandable how someone could get confused by this- especially a non-coin person

Whats interesting is someone had to buy that from the mint recently and paid more than .25 cents- how it got there is interesting.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby texcollex » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Robarons wrote:To be honest I have never heard of the coin myself so its understandable how someone could get confused by this- especially a non-coin person

Whats interesting is someone had to buy that from the mint recently and paid more than .25 cents- how it got there is interesting.

Yes I've wondered myself how they ended up wIth it without knowing what it was. It evidently sold out from the mint incredibly fast.
texcollex
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals