Palladium now worth more than Platinum!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Palladium now worth more than Platinum!

Postby Country » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I never thought this would happen. Platinum ($918) has really lost its luster against Palladium ($924) and GOLD ($1282). How low could Platinum go?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: Palladium now worth more than Platinum!

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Wow! I'm with you- I always thought palladium would be at best 10-15% cheaper than platinum. It just goes to show how often the crowd is wrong.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 am

Rumor is that the US mints order for the new palladium eagles took a chunk out of the market.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:33 am

This is my fault. I had to liquidate a portion of my stack to fund some expenses. I opted to sell my Palladium and keep my Platinum. No surprise this happened.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:52 am

Now I know I am totally fantasizing here, but what if the price of copper soared while gold remained about the same price it is now, and copper was worth as much as gold. Gold, to keep it fairly simple, is worth about $1.5 million per 100#.

Goodness, I'd be fairly rich if that happened.

Can you imagine all the stories you'd read about on this site (I sold all my copper for near face value back in the day- woulda, coulda, shoulda)? People trading Morgan dollars (slabbed CC's) even up for common date copper pennies. It would be absolutely wild.

I would get out my phone to finally record my wife say "Ok, I was wrong this time." To which I'd say "A little louder, please."

You don't have to be asleep to dream!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:23 am

highroller4321 wrote:Rumor is that the US mints order for the new palladium eagles took a chunk out of the market.

If so, illustrates how thin that market is, for that to move the price that much. Pd was in the low 800s just a couple months ago.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:18 am

68Camaro wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:Rumor is that the US mints order for the new palladium eagles took a chunk out of the market.

If so, illustrates how thin that market is, for that to move the price that much. Pd was in the low 800s just a couple months ago.

http://www.monex.com/cpm/2017CPMpgm.pdf

In 2016 there was around 9.3M ounces of palladium mined per year, with 38% of that being mined in Russia and 25% from South Africa. Last year there was around 9.4M ounces of palladium consumed, with around 66% of that from the auto industry. That left around 100k ounces "short" in 2016. The LME warehouse had enough to cover the shortage in 2016.

In 2017 it was predicted that there was going to be a small surplus from production, around 73k ounces. When the prediction was made no one knew how many PAE were going to be made. If the mint decides to make 50k that would be enough to wipe out the surplus, with a margin of error. There also are no hard numbers yet but it seems the auto industry is using up more palladium then originally estimated.

So I guess the U.S mint order is small enough to not majorly effort the price, but in a "small" market every additional ounce counts.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:30 pm

Nice analysis - thanks for looking up the data!

Not to mention that the LME warehouse was apparently depleted; are they not going to restock?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Also, for us historians, don't forget that palladium rose sharply near the beginning of the new millennium. In the late 1990's palladium was about $200/oz. It rose to $1,100 by January, 2001. This gigantic spike was largely attributed to Ford Motor Co. fearing a worldwide shortage and stockpiling a bunch of palladium. After the metal came back down in price from the momentary spike, Ford said they lost almost a billion dollars by buying so high.

Recyclersteve

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:19 pm

I should have bought more than an ounce. I think I'll keep that ounce even at these prices.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals