Platinum:Palladium 1:1 ratio?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Platinum:Palladium 1:1 ratio?

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:01 am

I never thought that it would even be a possibility, but the ratio of Platinum to Palladium is approaching 1:1. I'm not sure of the reasons behind this, but I do have good knowledge of large undeveloped swatches of land in South Africa that contain a lot of Platinum. Perhaps the market is sniffing that out, or maybe something else. Any thoughts?

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=%24PLA ... 4296924373
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Re: Platinum:Palladium 1:1 ratio?

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am

Platinum use has been way down! Car market has been getting worse, medical field marker is under a lot of uncertainty right now, and I doubt the jewelry market is doing any good. I believe Palladium demand is the same, or off a little as well.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:41 am

highroller4321 wrote:Platinum use has been way down! Car market has been getting worse, medical field marker is under a lot of uncertainty right now, and I doubt the jewelry market is doing any good. I believe Palladium demand is the same, or off a little as well.

Yes, as a use for catalyst, Platinum demand is down significantly. But, I'm not sure of Palladium... if demand is the same, then supply chain must be getting tightened as the price has escalated quite a bit throughout the past 2-3 years.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:37 pm

I don't know the ratio of total cost of recovery between the two but the level of both production and reserves is nearly the same so one would expect the price to be nearly at parity. However palladium is 50% concentrated in Russia, whereas platinum is less dependent on Russia, so the tensions between Russia and the west may have contributed to the greater recent change for palladium.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:26 pm

Curious to see how this pans out- my logic was they wanted to use palladium in lieu of platinum in cars. So $300/palladium and $1800 platinum at the time made me think demand would transfer until they met. Did not think it would be this close

The funny thing is if gold/silver/platinum was to go up you would see the respective coins and scrap enter the market to balance demand. Gold scrap, sterling silver tea sets, and platinum rings. Palladium goes up sharply- the public does not have any of this to ever sell at $800 or $1800 palladium. Likewise it is a industrial metal so its subject to the possible fate of Rhodium too
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:37 am

That was a very astute observation at the time. :clap: And your follow on observation seems to also be true.
Apart from the auto scrap market there is little source of backup supply. For palladium especially, increased demand can only be met by increased mine production (half of which is Russian). Can't say that about silver or even gold.Even.platinum has a secondary jewelry market. Not palladium (to any extent).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:15 pm

platinum has been in use longer, so probably more of it comes back on line per year via recycling, in addition to all the other points already made in this thread
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 am

Did anyone see what has happened to palladium vs. rhodium (not platinum) lately? Per Kitco.com tonight (6/14/17) here are the current quotes:

Platinum $933
Palladium $852
Rhodium $870

It is absolutely amazing that palladium is only about 2% cheaper than rhodium. I remember when rhodium was around $10,000 an oz.!

Disclaimer: I don't trade any of these, so there is no implied recommendation at all being made here.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 am

Palladium is for the first time ever more than $1,000.00 per oz. Platinum is only $944.00 The Pt:Pd ratio finally flipped and doesn't seem to be slowing. What is driving this? It's interesting that at this same time the US Mint has begun to release the new Pd Eagles. I'm not drawing a correlation, I just find it interesting.

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Market Harmony wrote:Palladium is for the first time ever more than $1,000.00 per oz.

Actually palladium was over $1,100 very briefly with the Ford Motor Co. induced spike in January, 2001. You can find this by going into Wikipedia and typing "2000s commodities boom." Scroll down a ways for the section on palladium.

Another reason cited by Barron's for the recent palladium spike is this- less production worldwide of diesel cars which use platinum (think Volkswagen) means more demand for palladium. I think they were referring to the long-term effects of the phony vehicle emissions data from a while back, which really punished Volkswagen stock at the time.

From a chart standpoint, if palladium goes above $1,100 again and surges to a new all-time high, the shorts might rush to cover and maybe Ford or someone else might sense a shortage and stockpile the metal again.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:30 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:Palladium is for the first time ever more than $1,000.00 per oz.

Actually palladium was over $1,100 very briefly with the Ford Motor Co. induced spike in January, 2001. You can find this by going into Wikipedia and typing "2000s commodities boom." Scroll down a ways for the section on palladium.

Another reason cited by Barron's for the recent palladium spike is this- less production worldwide of diesel cars which use platinum (think Volkswagen) means more demand for palladium. I think they were referring to the long-term effects of the phony vehicle emissions data from a while back, which really punished Volkswagen stock at the time.

From a chart standpoint, if palladium goes above $1,100 again and surges to a new all-time high, the shorts might rush to cover and maybe Ford or someone else might sense a shortage and stockpile the metal again.

Yes, you are right. Thanks for the information... never thought to look back 15+ years. I just figured that Palladium was never in such demand before and recent $1000+ was the first time. Was Platinum less than Palladium then, too?

Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:16 am

Market Harmony wrote: Thanks for the information... never thought to look back 15+ years. I just figured that Palladium was never in such demand before and recent $1000+ was the first time. Was Platinum less than Palladium then, too?

Platinum prices in January, 2001 (daily closing prices) ranged from $602 to $637/oz. So is was around $500 less than palladium, but only briefly.

Source: http://www.macrotrends.net/2540/platinu ... chart-data

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals