Pet Peeves About Others Who Search Rolls

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pet Peeves About Others Who Search Rolls

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 pm

I saw a comment today on another thread about someone who didn't like it when someone opens one end of a roll and neatly puts all the coins back in when searching. That got me to thinking- we all likely have certain things that irritate us about the things that others do when they are searching rolls for good coins.

One of the things I don't like:

When someone defaces the coins and then puts them back in the rolls. There was a guy in my area several years ago who wrote "J.M." on Kennedy halves. I assume that was his initials and this was his way of saying that he'd looked at the coins.

Today I found another person who takes a magic marker and puts a big "X" on the reverse of Kennedy halves.

Both of these people are obnoxious and I wish they would just stop. I imagine they could get in trouble for defacing government property...

What things do you experience while searching for coins that irritate you?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pet Peeves About Others Who Search Rolls

Postby Rosco » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 pm

Have found that same marks.
I did get over it before I quit Sorting Halfs :shifty:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:28 pm

I have seen the same marks
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby realhumancopper » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:03 pm

Here they glue 2 pennies together so they jam up the Ryedale or Coin star. I have gotten a box w/ as many as 50 pairs of pennies glued together. It's not kids w/ candy or Coke syrup. It take a screwdriver and hammer to get them apart..............................b
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:59 am

realhumancopper wrote:Here they glue 2 pennies together so they jam up the Ryedale or Coin star. I have gotten a box w/ as many as 50 pairs of pennies glued together. It's not kids w/ candy or Coke syrup. It take a screwdriver and hammer to get them apart..............................b

:sick:
Are these in bricks or customer wrapped?

(not that it matters all that much... that is the worst)

:evil:
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby realhumancopper » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:55 pm

They usually are found in boxes my bank holds back for me that are "used, not new from mint". They know nothing about collecting etc.--that is, the head teller, and vault teller. My guess is that searchers go through CWRs and play trick or treat w/ these glued pairs when they dump them by the bag. I have got them in CWRs also, I figured these are from people who hand sort and like to have "fun". I guess this because it is never two coppers glued together. I have 2 boxes of them currently. Probably will throw them in the Salvation Army buckets--and tell the bell ringer; "they are stuck together but they still spend"........or, maybe not do it at all...............b
realhumancopper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:56 pm

I stopped sorting halves about 2012 however when I returned rolls to my dump bank I used to mark my rolls with '1964' on the outside a few times to see if the tellers or anyone else would care. No one blinked an eye. Imagine if anyone actually brought in rolls what were marked a silver bearing year and no one cared!
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Robarons wrote:I stopped sorting halves about 2012 however when I returned rolls to my dump bank I used to mark my rolls with '1964' on the outside a few times to see if the tellers or anyone else would care. No one blinked an eye. Imagine if anyone actually brought in rolls what were marked a silver bearing year and no one cared!

If you did that to me, frankly, I'd be pissed...
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby fasteddy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm

I pull all the "marked" halves, remove the markings and add my own. I have identified over 35 different searcher marks here in my local area. The best of the worst...a bulls eye over JFK's neck.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:29 pm

My pet peeve is the loosy guy that sorts all the halves near me and takes out all the ones worth anything. He keeps dropping them off at my source banks for me to buy. I spend those clad halves and hope people keep them for fun from their change.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby cwgii » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:27 pm

i used to mark the ear on jfk . just to see if they would show up again.
cwgii

Postby everything » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:47 pm

I never marked halves but saw hundreds of different marks, even metal stampings. If you ever find a penny with a happy face sticker on it, that might be me. Nothing really annoys me about roll searching. I got plenty other things that I'd like to start a fire under, what i miss seeing is the where's george dollars, I have not registered one in years.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:49 am

everything wrote:I never marked halves but saw hundreds of different marks, even metal stampings. If you ever find a penny with a happy face sticker on it, that might be me. Nothing really annoys me about roll searching. I got plenty other things that I'd like to start a fire under, what i miss seeing is the where's george dollars, I have not registered one in years.

The Where's George crowd has grown up. Now they are into Bitcoin! :)

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals