I got a silver quarter in my change the other day!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I got a silver quarter in my change the other day!

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I got a silver quarter in my change from Aldi the other day. :clap: I've never gotten silver in the wild. I brought it home and dropped it on the table and exclaimed to my wife, "See!? I got silver in my change! :lol: About once a day for a week I said, "Hey! Guess what!? I got silver in my change the other day!!" And my wife would say "I know..." I was so proud.

Well. I put it in my pocket because I was going to the local coin club meeting and I thought they were looking for auction items for a charity and I was going to put it up. Anyway, not sure how I did it, not sure if I used it at dinner after or spent it on my auction bill at the meeting, not sure if I dropped it somewhere, but the little silver quarter I found in the wild... Has made its way back into the wild. :cry: :lol:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Re: I got a silver quarter in my change the other day!

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 pm

Have you checked under your car seat and in the cushions of your favorite sofa?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:09 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Have you checked under your car seat and in the cushions of your favorite sofa?

Need to clean out my car anyway. :shifty:
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Robarons » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:11 pm

Congrats on the silver quarter find. They are extremely hard to find- even roll sorting (never found one). With the state quarter and now national park collecting having people look at their quarters the past 20 years really pulled out any silver quarters out there.

I got a similar story- finished up business at a coin shop once and the balance was owed was $2. Said just give me 2 90% dimes and were even. Took them and placed them in my pocket. When to Mcdonalds on the way home and bought 2- $1 cheeseburgers. Got home and noticed I spent the silver dimes! I treated it as a $4 meal
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby dakota1955 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 pm

I also got a silver quarter back in change about a week ago but this one is a 1966 Canadian. It's on my desk for now.
dakota1955

Postby CardsNCoins » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:19 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:.........not sure if I dropped it somewhere, but the little silver quarter I found in the wild... Has made its way back into the wild. :cry: :lol:

The circle of life.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:48 pm

So rare these days to find a silver coin in change. So rare for me that I still remember the last time I struck silver was when I stopped at a grocery store in Albany, Oregon in 2007 and placed a $1 bill in the outdoor coke machine and it popped out a can coke and a silver quarter :thumbup:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:19 pm

pennypicker wrote:So rare these days to find a silver coin in change. So rare for me that I still remember the last time I struck silver was when I stopped at a grocery store in Albany, Oregon in 2007 and placed a $1 bill in the outdoor coke machine and it popped out a can coke and a silver quarter :thumbup:

That is interesting- the fact that a vending machine would even accept silver is a bit surprising. Maybe I'm thinking too much about the Coinstar machines.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby pennypicker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:
pennypicker wrote:So rare these days to find a silver coin in change. So rare for me that I still remember the last time I struck silver was when I stopped at a grocery store in Albany, Oregon in 2007 and placed a $1 bill in the outdoor coke machine and it popped out a can coke and a silver quarter :thumbup:

That is interesting- the fact that a vending machine would even accept silver is a bit surprising. Maybe I'm thinking too much about the Coinstar machines.

Yep, I thought I would try my luck again and purchased a second can coke but got a clad quarter. It's been ten years and I've yet to come across another silver coin in my pocket change.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:59 pm

Recyclersteve wrote:Have you checked under your car seat and in the cushions of your favorite sofa?

Checked the sofa, coats, pants and cleaned my car. Just a quarter.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Pachucko » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:56 pm

I found a $20 bill in the parking lot of McDonalds when I was a kid.

I hid it some where at home to keep it safe, forgot where and never found it.

Almost 30 years later and I still remember...
Pachucko
Penny Collector Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:21 pm

Pachucko wrote:I found a $20 bill in the parking lot of McDonalds when I was a kid.

:clap: Winner!
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:27 am

Quarters no - can't even remember the last time I saw a silver one in the wild - it would have to be decades ago. Twenty years ago it wasn't unheard of to find a silver dime if you looked - for me it was about once a year, but then that stopped. But about 5 years ago now I had a short streak where I got 3 silver dimes in change at different places in the same general area within a couple of weeks. I always wondered if the same person had sprinkled those around.

As far as missing or lost money, I can tell a couple of sad stories there, but that would be completely off topic.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:37 am

Pachucko wrote:I found a $20 bill in the parking lot of McDonalds when I was a kid.

I lost the password to the bitcoin wallet I was using in the beef jerky biz. I put in about $1,700 worth of BTC. Today its worth $51,677. Password is still lost.

This afternoon, I'm calling around to some hypnotists to see if they can help.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:33 pm

Somehow the words "get over it" come to mind. Hopefully, you don't have a personalized license plate that says "20 GONE". Actually, you may not have had the extra $20 or so that it costs to have the plate personalized. So never mind...

(I hope that doesn't sound too cruel!)

Recyclersteve

Postby everything » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Very awesome and very rare. I find pennies all the time and hardly look. I found a twenty at a garage sale two years back. Found a ten off a snowmobile trail when I was a kid. I find change/coin money in the dumpster, dressers on the street, any couch/chair anyone throws out to the curb is going to have money in it, found an Iphone in one of them. Gave it away, it was a hassle I didn't want to deal with, and drove the guy nuts who I gave it to by trying to get it unlocked even though he called the owner and they said you can have it, it's yours now.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby coindood » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Sounds like the missus is the culprit. She got tired of the constant bragging, secretly palmed it and put it in a gumball machine out of spite. :lol:
coindood
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals