Gold Penny Found

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold Penny Found

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 pm

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Re: Gold Penny Found

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 pm

This thing was made in Seattle, not all that far from Portland. Can you imagine if Adam Youngs discovered this one? If I was Adam and discovered it, I'd have a whole separate link on my website talking about it and would have had that thing framed.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:58 pm

From the above article:

"He never expected to see it again, but he wondered where the penny ended up: stuck in a giant penny jar, melted down with other coins back at the United States Mint, lost in a street gutter."

I was completely unaware the US Mint was melting it's own pennies. That would explain the rapid drop of copper percentages and the surge in new zincs a few years ago. How long has this been going on?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:36 am

An 8 year old article and I don't recall hearing about it until now (or maybe I blocked it out). Had others heard of this before?
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:14 pm

68Camaro wrote:An 8 year old article and I don't recall hearing about it until now (or maybe I blocked it out). Had others heard of this before?

Never heard of it before. Judging by the looks of it I probably wouldn't taken a second look at it and just thrown it in with the coppers. :lol:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Robarons » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Cool story- pretty sure this was posted here at some point years ago
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Catfish4u » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:59 am

$11.90 for a Hustler magazine? What?????
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby everything » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Fun story, thank you for sharing, and no the mint isn't melting pennies down, they don't want to stop the penny here just yet, they float the idea. Many theories as to why they won't. Computer program rewrites, people can't round (yes they can), take penny, leave a penny? We are waiting. Patiently, for the big melt. Until then, we still find around 10 or so wheats in each $25 box here in the midwest. Who knows, maybe one of these golds is sitting around in my mix of weird ones that I keep for looking at later, but I doubt it.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm

Gold pennies...no big deal...I have a red solo cup half full of gold pennies I have found over the years....now the silver ones is a different story...I only have found a few of those.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals