Silver in the wild.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver in the wild.

Postby biglouddrunk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 am

Is it viable to buys bags and find silver in the wild? I have to figure most halves were pull out of circulation the last time silver was high. 5 years ago I used to be able to find maybe 3 war nickels per box. Not sure if it's possible to find dimes.
biglouddrunk
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Silver in the wild.

Postby fasteddy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 am

Not much left. My last 16 boxes of dimes(40,000 dimes) yielded 2 silver dimes....not so good but it was better last year. So lets see, today I pick up 2 boxes of halves and my 4 boxes of dimes come in on Thursday. I will let ya know what I find.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Not many places that haven't been tapped out, but I've told a real story about a cousin in law who is a RC member who started looking for halves and hit on a silver mine in his particular area. Apparently it was enough secluded that for whatever reason it hadn't been mined. He pulled hundreds of silver halves from that area before it started to thin out. So its always worth a try. I told him it was of no use but he proved me wrong. In my area of course, it has been tapped out years ago, by people that started well before I ever tried.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:33 am

I'd say that even with the slim pickings out there, it is still easier to find halves than dimes at this point. And I would imagine that quarters would be MUCH HARDER to find than either halves or dimes. I spent a couple weeks in November driving an area up to about 40 miles from my house and going to some pretty obscure out-of-the-way banks. There is no way I could honestly say the effort was worth it (or even close to being worth it) when you consider the time and gas expense. I spent several hours a day for about two weeks and netted perhaps $40-50 of silver- not $40-50 face, but a total value of $40-50. So much for minimum wage. That sucks!

Yet, that said, there is always that thought in the back of my mind that some heir of an estate who isn't a coin collector could be dumping off coins somewhere near me. I figure that there will be lots of coin collectors who die in the next 10-15 years. And that keeps me going.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby oober » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:37 pm

If you are doing it for just the recreation value, go for it, you may find some and possibly someone's dumped collection. But if you are in it to make more than a few bucks an hr at best, then just get a part time job at home depot and buy it.

I stopped in 11, the returns were not worth it even a $40.00 + silver.
oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:37 am

If you can buy bags off the counting machines, I think it is probably still worth it. I can no longer buy any bags from counting machines in my area, but the very last bag I was able to buy, as the manager told me this would be the last time, yielded over $100 face value of dimes, many of them mercury; that was about 10 months ago. I was routinely getting 2 dimes per bag, with about 1 such windfall per year. Halfs yielded a similar 2-6 per bag, but I hadnt seen a windfall half bag for several years. If I could still buy bags from counting machines, I would buy both dimes and halfs.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:13 am

Many will say the time spent would be better working an odd, or part time job, then buying the silver (which is what I do). One tip: Wait for a recession, funny things can and will happen, like large hoards of coinage coming into the counters. I've seen it, i.e. 4 - 5 gallon buckets full sitting at the credit union/bank. But, I sort pennies, their is almost zero value in that, it's just a hobby, so if you enjoy doing it and can get access to the coinage go for it. For a few years I was doing $1000 a week in halves, bit of work hauling all that around but I had fun doing it, my biggest finds were always the 40% halves.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals