SILVER Discounted Most Everywhere

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

SILVER Discounted Most Everywhere

Postby Country » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Looking about at Provident, you can see the discount for sellers and the premium for buyers depreciating. Today Provident is offering to buy 90% dimes and quarters at $1.01 less than spot; halves at .76 less than spot. Provident is selling generic 90% at spot. Demand for 90% SILVER is not there and I believe that is why these prices are going down smartly against spot. I think many are disposing their hoards - but what could they be buying? I guess having been burned too many times, we are seeing full capitulation by many stackers. Yet, spot prices of GOLD and to some extent SILVER do not appear weak. Historically, SILVER 90% has been purchased at spot and sold at less than spot. Perhaps, we are gravitating to the historical way of evaluating lots of SILVER. Any thoughts?
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Re: SILVER Discounted Most Everywhere

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 pm

Country wrote:Looking about at Provident, you can see the discount for sellers and the premium for buyers depreciating. Today Provident is offering to buy 90% dimes and quarters at $1.01 less than spot; halves at .76 less than spot. Provident is selling generic 90% at spot. Demand for 90% SILVER is not there and I believe that is why these prices are going down smartly against spot. I think many are disposing their hoards - but what could they be buying? I guess having been burned too many times, we are seeing full capitulation by many stackers. Yet, spot prices of GOLD and to some extent SILVER do not appear weak. Historically, SILVER 90% has been purchased at spot and sold at less than spot. Perhaps, we are gravitating to the historical way of evaluating lots of SILVER. Any thoughts?

ALL silver prices are declining. Apmex is buying 100oz bars for $1.25 UNDER spot.

I believe that money is going into crypto and also into the stock market.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby IdahoCopper » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:04 am

I agree, its going into crypto. I cashed out 80% of the hoard and got cryptos. I started buying 64 days ago. At about day 50, I was at peak gains, 80% over the amount invested.

As that percentage declined on a deep dip, I finally got FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) enough to withdraw 85% of what I put in. That calmed my nerves a lot. I was in violation of crypto rule #1; don't invest more than you can afford to lose. Jan 17th was a blood bath. Whales manipulated the markets to better their futures contracts positions that were closing that day. Near the bottom of that day's decline, I put back in $2k. That top-off is up 37% today, just 3 days later.

I'm presently at 97% of what I spent on cryptos, after the big withdrawal, plus the top-off, to readjust my positions. That big fall on the 17th is to blame, some profits are yet to be regained. However, measured against the remaining original risk investment plus the at-risk top-off deposit, I'm up 200%, the accounts are 3x what is at risk. That is because I've removed no profits for the last 64 days.

Its a roller coaster and the wheels can fall off at any minute.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 am

That's called gambling not investing, but in your case (with some smarts applied) you won. Well done!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:52 pm

I've been doing more than half of my buying and selling of PMs at my LCS. This has been happening for about the last 15 years. I could argue the pros and cons of a business arrangement like this, but I tell the owner what I'm willing to pay up front (or my expectations of what I want for a coin being sold). No agreement? No problem and we laugh about it while always practicing mutual respect..

This shop owner knows more about coins than I ever will. When he told me about probable silver dumping in the past 7-10 days, I initially laughed and asked whether he'd sustained a head injury. Now, after further research, I believe he's correct.

There are always people coming into the shop selling 3 rolls of silver dimes that were inherited from Uncle Harry. Now, the known silver hoarders are coming to the shop to unload their long-term accumulations for fast cash. They want cash. No, correct that. Their need for cash overrides their basic food, clothing and shelter desires. ASEs as well as Canada MLs are being purchased (in huge quantities) at this shop at $1.50 to $2.00 below spot. US 90% coming back to the shop is heavily discounted, too.

As larger quantities of coin silver and bullion are being purchased over the counter at the LCS, the owner is scrambling to unload these bloated amounts at a reasonable profit. Not an easy task now (even on a localized basis) as the number of sellers has progressed well beyond the number of prospective buyers.

With the fast silver sales, so goes the rational thinking that usually governs the sale of commodities. The LCS owner related that the profile of a NEW SELLER is akin to the junkie who needs their fix. Sort of a "No time for discussion here...just give me the money" thing.

Where's all this cash going? Of course you know. Bit Coin and other crypto-currencies are the benefactors of these massive amounts of cash. History will provide us with the answers to the many questions we now muse about. Personally, I've grown accustomed to the feel of PMs in my hands. There's just something comforting about holding a few silver half dollars or a $5 gold piece. BTW, I have no trouble sleeping at night with my investments in PMs.

What a crazy world.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Good street intel. Makes sense. Great time (again) to buy physical!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby reddirtcoins » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am

68Camaro wrote:Good street intel. Makes sense. Great time (again) to buy physical!

+1
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 pm

My LCS who for the longest time was paying 50 cents under spot for 1 oz generic silver rounds has just recently lowered his buy price to 80 cents below spot while his sell price remains unchanged--says there's more sellers than buyers these days.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bigjohn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:46 am

Where isn’t the money going? Everything is doing better than PMs - crypto, stocks, real estate. Buy PMs while they cheap and no one wants any, things will change
Open a coinbase account and both of us will get $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec
Bigjohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:35 pm

I smell capitulation, desperation. This could be something more than just a surplus. Since silver has planed out people have lost interest in an investment going nowhere and are willing to cut their losses. A certain percentage is just dumping inheritance.

Allot of coin/bar was bought for investment purposes over the last 5 years, that's allot of silver floating around not doing anything, its got to move sometime, I've found YPS stuff at my LCS.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:47 pm

It may be a type of capitulation for small time stackers, if there are several types of capitulation (as there might be), but keep in mind that silver has been cheaper and not all that long ago. The buying bottom (so far) of the past 10 years was late 2015 through mid 2017. Even with premium differences I'm still paying quite a bit more now net-net than I did during that period of what appears to have been the true bottom.
68Camaro

Postby InfleXion » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:04 am

I'm thankful that the shiny is affordable for me a bit longer while some people chase other things. Monetary cycles aren't for day traders. Right now is still the acquire silver phase. That won't change until I either retire or the GSR drops below 25. Until then I will keep working to improve my position, and the more people look away from gold and silver, the better deals I can get.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Some do sell at LCS in smaller quantities as they let go of hoards acquired through family, often they get an attachment to their silver and only want to sell when they absolutely have to. I to wish I would have bought more, during that bottom I was able to hook up with 100 oz. at 15.50, and could have bought 500 oz. at that price, coulda shoulda woulda..

I don't get the greatest discount at my LCS, but it's the only place I can find old rare .999 bars, keeps me interested, but the over spot premium plus 5.5% sales tax does not help the hobby.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:25 pm

everything wrote:Some do sell at LCS in smaller quantities as they let go of hoards acquired through family, often they get an attachment to their silver and only want to sell when they absolutely have to. I to wish I would have bought more, during that bottom I was able to hook up with 100 oz. at 15.50, and could have bought 500 oz. at that price, coulda shoulda woulda..

I don't get the greatest discount at my LCS, but it's the only place I can find old rare .999 bars, keeps me interested, but the over spot premium plus 5.5% sales tax does not help the hobby.

There are places where they don't charge sales tax or only charge it on supplies, so you might check other states in your area in case a coin show comes up. Also, some dealers might not charge tax to someone who is from out of their state. So if a dealer travels from Chicago to Minneapolis for a show, you might not get charged tax if you attend the show but don't live in IL (the dealer's home state). I'm just making up the states because they are near you- I don't know the laws for those states. And then again there are states where there is no sales tax, such as Oregon. I know that from traveling there in the past. Assuming it is still that way.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Rosco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 am

Correct No Sales Tax in Oregon but plenty of others :P .
Not a cheep State to live in. :sick:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby oktyabyr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:28 am

No sales tax on PMs in Texas.
oktyabyr
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Fantastic buying opportunity! You guys should be taking advantage of it, not complaining about low prices. This is a GIFT!

Cryptos are still massive bubbles. Gotta be crazy buying these things.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals