Cleaning 90% coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Cleaning 90% coins

Postby Know Common Cents » Fri May 12, 2017 8:37 pm

Regardless of what method (or methods) that you try, practicing on junk silver is the way to go. Try several different chemical baths and see what works the best.

I'm not a fan of acids and the like, but it's interesting to see what works well. Good luck.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Mon May 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Definitely .. try burning it, might get some nice toning besides.

IdahoCopper wrote:
rainsonme wrote:I have a very nice barber dime, full liberty, very little wear. Some dark staining on the front. But on the back, is part of the book it must have been glued into back in 1905. I have had it soaking in acetone for 6 weeks now, often shaking the glass bottle. Not much improvement. Would paint thinner do better, or should I just give it a year in acetone, then give up? It is really a very nice coin, other than the bonus coin book stuck to the back.

Since acetone hasn't resolved the problem, step it up to something else. MEK, or gasoline, or TEC (do not mix together any of these). You can't hurt the silver unless you go to strong acids (don't do that).
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:23 pm

So revisiting this thread about cleaning the 90% halves last year. They turned out just fine using a jewelry cleaner and patting dry with a towel. After almost a year, the coins still look great! :thumbup:
Can't say the same about the pennies I did with vinegar and salt. They were quite shiny for a while, but eventually returned to a reddish brown hue. Still clean though.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals