Nickle Spike

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Nickle Spike

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:13 pm

So Nickle was up about $.25+ today. Any one come up with a reason? I still think nickle(s) are an under the radar stackable. And still the only un-debased coin still in circulation. But then, I'm a total contrarian.

Edited to add: And the way zinc is moving, zincolns are closer to parody than Jeffersons. Whooda thought we might be way ahead of the curve if we started stacking debased pennies? :shh: And folks are selling their copper hoards :o
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Nickle Spike

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:47 pm

I see an article on http://www.kitcometals.com that came out today and could be causing a spike.

The article is titled "Electric cars set world's nickel miners on new course." It was published on 10/31/17 and is by Reuters. It talks about the growing use of nickel in lithium car batteries, where it helps to make a battery charge last longer. It then says that not all nickel is suitable for car batteries, and specifically mentions ferronickel and nickel pig iron grades as being unsuitable.

It says that approximately half of the nickel produced is in this unsuitable category.

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.kitco.com/news/2017-10-31/LM ... ourse.html

Two questions I have:

1) Assuming it was legal to melt down U.S. nickels (only 25% nickel and 75% copper), would they be the right type of nickel for lithium car batteries?; and
2) What about pre-82 Canadian nickels, French and Dutch nickel coins, which are .999 nickel. Would they be acceptable?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:38 pm

I'd assume coinage nickel would be pure and therefore useable for this purpose but you never know - French and Dutch .999 nickel jumps onto the magnet whereas US .750/.250 nickels do not at all.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Nickel continues to go up- currently at $5.83, up about 46% since early July when it was right at about $4.00 a pound.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Since my last post on Halloween, nickels have now passed zinc pennies on the road to parody.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Nickel had a HUGE spike today. Kitcometals.com currently shows the price at $6.89, up 47 cents (7.35%). Earlier today it got as high as $7.17. 7% isn't a bad year and we did that in just a single day! I love the fact that even at this level we are not even close to the $27.02 price that nickel hit in May, 2007 (per TradingEconomics.com).

Reason for the big day? Worries over spillover from US sanctions on Rusal and after Brazilian producer Vale said its production dropped by 25 percent. Rusal holds a 25 percent stake in Norilsk which is one of the largest producers of nickel. (per TradingEconomics.com)

Recyclersteve

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:59 pm

Thanks for the update, Steve. I missed it.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby hobo finds » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:20 pm

Nice site you posted about recyclersteve

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities
hobo finds

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:20 am

Thanks Hobo. The price that amazed me was $435,000 for neodymium. I'm assuming that is per ton. But that still converts to about $13.50 per ounce and I've got a bunch of neodymium magnets that I use.

Recyclersteve

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals