silver flatware

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

silver flatware

Postby spacemanX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:58 pm

to the guru's
i have some silver flatware to sell. what is the best way to sell. coin dealer, here, ...
about 5 lbs worth

would prefer to convert to bullion.

recommendations appreciated.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: silver flatware

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Look at scrapman1077s ad under buy sell trade.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby spacemanX » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:35 pm

thanks camaro, i have gotten with Jay!!
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:38 pm

You'll want to confirm that it is indeed sterling silver (usually have markings of either "sterling" or ".925"). If it is silverplate, the freight may not be worth it to sell. I know someone who pays $1.50/pound for silverplate but you'd have to pay for shipping to get that price. Also, if you have knives the handles are seldom silver or silverplate, so you will typically need to deduct the weight of the handle.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:31 pm

Exactly correct about the knife handles. I discovered that the hard way.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:21 am

I did once trade my sterling silver to a local coin dealer for 90% halves. I didn't want the freight and insurance charges so I figured a trade would be the way to go.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:06 am

Recyclersteve wrote:You'll want to confirm that it is indeed sterling silver (usually have markings of either "sterling" or ".925"). If it is silverplate, the freight may not be worth it to sell. I know someone who pays $1.50/pound for silverplate but you'd have to pay for shipping to get that price. Also, if you have knives the handles are seldom silver or silverplate, so you will typically need to deduct the weight of the handle.

Guys, for all the Sterling knives I ever dealt with it was the other way around. The knife blade and tang were steel and only the hollow handle cover was Sterling silver. Usually weighting less than half a Troy Oz.

I would like to get the contact info for the person who buys silver plate. I got a buddy who has a lot of it.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scrapman1077 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:47 pm

For silver plated flatware, $1.00 a lbs delivered.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 am

$1.50 to $1.00 seem like good prices.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:$1.50 to $1.00 seem like good prices.

How many pounds of silver-plate does your friend have?

Recyclersteve

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:31 am

Recyclersteve wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:$1.50 to $1.00 seem like good prices.

How many pounds of silver-plate does your friend have?

I don't know yet. Still waiting for his reply.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:53 pm

My friend tells me that five years ago he was offered $3 per pound by a metals recycling company. The recycle company that quoted him $3 per pound is notorious for using every little trick to cheat the pants off of gullible scrappers, so I don't put any stock into what they say. He tells me he has too much $$$ into his pile of plated flatware to sell at $3. After he said that, I didn't ask how big a pile he had since it became a moot point...... He intends to hold onto it "for a rainy day".
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:37 pm

He won't get anywhere close to that. Silver was almost $50/oz. in Spring, 2011. Maybe it was something like $30-35 when he bought. Anyhow, it will likely be a long time before he can hit breakeven.

Recyclersteve

Postby spacemanX » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Thanks all,
i separated the sterling and sent it to scrapman. class act!!!!
the rest is silver plate. might try craigslist or local coin shop/pawnshop.
seems like a few lbs left.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals