40% Silver Half Dollars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

40% Silver Half Dollars

Postby Contradiction » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:42 am

Somebody talk me down off the ledge.

I see on coinflation.com that 40% Kennedy half dollars are worth $2.26 each, or $4.52 per one dollar of face value.

I can buy those coins on Provident Metals for $4.69 if I buy 100 of them, and with no shipping charges. That's a low premium it seems. Am I missing something?
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Re: 40% Silver Half Dollars

Postby Country » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:51 pm

Here's the catch. What does Provident pay for them? $4.05 per $1 for $4.52 spot value; which is 10.4% less than spot. Looking at 90% generic at Provident, it sells for $11.30 per $1, while the buy price is $10.67 per $1 face; which is about 3% less than spot. There has always been more demand for 90%, and probably will always be so. 40% is harder to sell when you want to do so. Now since prices have fallen much, I would recommend buying the good stuff, especially since 90% premiums are very low. Just my 2c. :)
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:52 pm

They are less desirable because they weigh a lot per unit troy ounce and take up a lot of space so premiums are lower. But there are several positives if you can get past that.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Recyclersteve » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:20 pm

When I find 40% halves in rolls I go through, I certainly keep them. But I've never bought them, except in very small quantities and one time when I found a pawn shop that didn't know what they were doing (they sold them to me for $1 each in 2009- I'd buy those all day long). I'd imagine that the dealer's profit margin on 40%ers will generally be higher. Exception: He might buy some at a little higher price if he knew he had an immediate sale. Otherwise, these might sit around for a while.

Since the silver is such a small percent of the total coin, refining costs for melting them down can be prohibitive from what I've heard. Ditto for any coin that isn't almost all silver. War nickels (35% silver) have the same issue and Mexican pesos minted from 1957 to 1967 are even worse (with only 10% silver).

I'd love to trade my 40%ers for 90%ers if I found a fair deal.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby Contradiction » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:55 am

Thanks for the responses, all. Probably best to stick with 90%. I'd be satisfied if I could get some 40% Kennedys in change or in boxes like Saabman.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:00 am

The 40%, 35%, 80%, 90% sterling etc can all be exchanged for .999 for a relatively modest fee. See scrapmans permanent ad. They all smelt and refine - silver is silver.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Contradiction » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:24 am

68Camaro wrote:The 40%, 35%, 80%, 90% sterling etc can all be exchanged for .999 for a relatively modest fee. See scrapmans permanent ad. They all smelt and refine - silver is silver.

Thanks for the info. It's OK to melt silver dimes, quarters and 50 cent pieces but not copper pennies?
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:38 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/14/busi ... nnies.html

On again off again. Currently only 1 and 5 cent pieces are banned.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:15 pm

I found a box of these buried in a local cemetery in 1976. I was just a kid playing Six Million Dollar Man in the dirt, then Voila! There were about 25 of them, all 40%. I still have all of them. I also found about 10 Peace dollars in the same cemetery!

Whenever you buy 40% from your LCS, always try making a deal. You should be able to get these at, or very close to spot price. I personally would rather have 90%.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Contradiction » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I found a box of these buried in a local cemetery in 1976. I was just a kid playing Six Million Dollar Man in the dirt, then Voila! There were about 25 of them, all 40%. I still have all of them. I also found about 10 Peace dollars in the same cemetery!

Whenever you buy 40% from your LCS, always try making a deal. You should be able to get these at, or very close to spot price. I personally would rather have 90%.

In a cemetery? Was somebody trying to take their money with them?

Thanks for the advice.
Contradiction
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:07 am

Even though you can’t legally melt most U.S. nickels, that restriction doesn’t apply to the war nickels. Just like the 40% halves, I will keep war nickels when I find them, but don’t look to buy them unless someone wants to do something real silly like sell them for 25-30 cents each.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby John Reich » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:32 am

Usually don't buy 40% halves. I did make an exception a few years ago when I bought some BU rolls at spot. Otherwise, I stick with 90% and .999.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:40 am

Contradiction wrote:
Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:I found a box of these buried in a local cemetery in 1976. I was just a kid playing Six Million Dollar Man in the dirt, then Voila! There were about 25 of them, all 40%. I still have all of them. I also found about 10 Peace dollars in the same cemetery!

In a cemetery? Was somebody trying to take their money with them?

Thanks for the advice.

lol... maybe, but I have a feeling that someone buried them for safe keeping and work diggers came close to unearthing them... I simply got lucky. I imaged they were buried there in 1966, they were all 1965 and 1966.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals