Why Do Silver Dimes Carry a Higher Premium Over Spot?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Why Do Silver Dimes Carry a Higher Premium Over Spot?

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Premiums over spot fluctuate for many known and unknown reasons. All it takes is a fast look at APMEX to notice that all quantities of silver dimes carry a premium of $1.99 over spot. There's no indication these are exclusively Mercuries, so why are they so pricey?

Quarters are $0.99 over spot. There's nothing awe-inspiring about a circulated Roosevelt dime. This pricing disparity isn't apparently exclusive to APMEX. It seems to have bled through even on e-Bay where the bids or fixed prices are higher for dimes on a comparison basis (overall silver equivalent) than for G Washingtons.

My LCS has no explanation for this mystery, either. Then again, I guess I still don't understand how my iPhone works, either.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Why Do Silver Dimes Carry a Higher Premium Over Spot?

Postby Recyclersteve » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:54 pm

That could just be a temporary thing- their way of saying we are almost sold out of dimes. So if you insist on dimes, you will have to pay more for them.

My understanding is that half dollars would generally be the most likely to command a premium (over both dimes and quarters).

I don't expect this dime premium to last for long at all.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 pm

Could there be a per coin premium?
Actually it is lower for dimes. Please check my math.

I come up with $.17 per quarter and $.14 per dime
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 am

Know Common Cents wrote:Premiums over spot fluctuate for many known and unknown reasons. All it takes is a fast look at APMEX to notice that all quantities of silver dimes carry a premium of $1.99 over spot. There's no indication these are exclusively Mercuries, so why are they so pricey?

Quarters are $0.99 over spot. There's nothing awe-inspiring about a circulated Roosevelt dime. This pricing disparity isn't apparently exclusive to APMEX. It seems to have bled through even on e-Bay where the bids or fixed prices are higher for dimes on a comparison basis (overall silver equivalent) than for G Washingtons.

My LCS has no explanation for this mystery, either. Then again, I guess I still don't understand how my iPhone works, either.

I am slightly surprised to see the premium on dimes as most of the time quarters and dimes are the same premium.

Here is my theory:
People who are stacking for TSHTF scenario prefer dimes because they are the smallest unit of 90% that can be traded. In a TSHTF scenario it will be hard to "make change" so the smaller the unit of trade the better. That being said the premiums on most silver are starting to go up again so apmex is probably charging a premium for the unit of 90% that they have the least of.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby pmbug » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:12 am

Seems like the premiums on 90% silver generally reflect supply and demand dynamics. Is the supply of 90% dimes drying up in the wholesale/dealer market?

Edit: Just checked Apmex 90% silver Washington quarters and I see premiums at $1.99. OP, where were you seeing premiums at $0.99?
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals